Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will it Work?

Hello I am pretty new to this fourm and I just bought a Dorcy Metal Gear for 4.00 ;D at Wallmart. I went to every Target and Wallmart looking for the mini Dorcy Cr123 but no luck :'(. I was just wondering if the Metal Dorcy's internals are simialr to the mini Dorcy? Because I already made a LD into a LED by trying to attempt the minimag flashlight. I guess it was the direct 3v to the battery that fried it. So this time around I am trying to play it safe and not fry my laser and hook it up to a suitable power supply. Thanks for your time

Hi again Kim.

I am pretty sure that the Dorcy's are well regulated (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

If you have a DMM then check for voltage and current on the LED, if they are within spec of your LD then go ahead with it. but as a precaution , you can always solder something like a 16v 10uf capacitor across the diode pins to filter out any voltage spikes.

Good luck.

Jase

S

SenKat

Kimochee - take a peek at the experiments and mods section.....I made one of those a while back (April, I think !) and it has since been improved on GREATLY !

G !

Rhith

I have mine that I completed in a Dorcy Metal Gear sitting right by me! SenKat got his working fine with the included circuit. I however made my own driver board that was a variation of Daedal's that I got to fit inside of the case! It doesn't give as much kick but it will help keep it constant and last a lot longer. Take a look at my photobucket and you will see the driver plan I used, the driver it self and pictures of what it looks like completed. ;D
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/LaserRhith/