Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will 650nm goggles block 660nm?

Lokepi

Hello!

I am going to build my first laser, and I am deciding between a LPC-815 and a LPC-826. The first one have a wavelength of 650nm, while the second one is 660nm. I want to get a good pair of glasses first, as I am scared of loosing any eyesight.

Would these glasses: 650nm OD4+ from ZoneStealth work for blocking out 660nm light?
If not, Could someone point me in the right direction where I can find glasses in about the same price range that would work. Preferably in the EU. (I live in Sweden, getting things sent to here from the US costs a small fortune, which would be better spent on glasses ;) )

Also, what OD rating is necessary for blocking about 200-300mW of light?

These goggles have a protective range of 600 to 760nm, ie that are right for your laser.

And yes, these goggles have OD 4, and is more than enough for the power of your laser, do not worry.

Last edited:

MadEye

The picture shows the Eagle Pairs, but no brand. Also it says "OD 4+ @ 632nm - 650 nm" and not the 600nm to 670nm range from the eagle pairs... o_O

Lokepi

These goggles have a protective range of 600 to 760nm, ie that are right for your laser.

The picture shows the Eagle Pairs, but no brand. Also it says "OD 4+ @ 632nm - 650 nm" and not the 600nm to 670nm range from the eagle pairs... o_O

Sooo, Which post is right? Do they block the 660nm light like piferal said? Or if it is like MadEye said, do they stop blocking at 650nm?

I had purchased these goggles on that site and I know what I mean.

Also it is 760nm, not 670 as you say.

Lokepi

I really hope you're right. I'm not going to look into the laser or anything moronic like that, but I don't want to get any damage from the reflections from the laser dot.
Also, does every goggles that say for example 650nm have the ability to protect from all light in the spectrum that is close to 650nm? like +/- X nm?

MadEye

I had purchased these goggles on that site and I know what I mean.

Also it is 760nm, not 670 as you say.

Damn, typo, I even took my Eagle pair to write the range... :(

If you purchased them ok, but why to they offer them in this range? Is something known about this eagle pair of not being OD4 in the full range they claim?

Damn, typo, I even took my Eagle pair to write the range... :(

If you purchased them ok, but why to they offer them in this range? Is something known about this eagle pair of not being OD4 in the full range they claim?

That's something you have to ask to the shop owner, but from what I have seen from 650nm to 685nm
(I checked with diodes 650, 660, 670 and 685nm) and they block perfectly acording to the specifications of the EP-2.

Anyway I have not a specialized laboratory to see if they have a perfect OD 4 in all the specified wavelength,
but perform their function perfectly.

Anyway generally no goggles has a regular curve OD throughout the entire area of protection.

Lokepi

Thanks for the help guys! I'm buying the ones from ZoneStealth, and I'm also going with the 815 instead of the 826. (The place I'm buying the other parts from doesn't have the 826, and I don't want to pay for shipping from two stores :p)