Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Red Laser Goggles

Hi Guys:
I will soon be building my first high powered Laser with Greg's Group Buy diode. Since I REALLY value my eyes, I became very paranoid and purchased a pair of Lasershades. My question is, do these goggles offer sufficient protection for this type of laser while performing basic burning and balloon popping experiments? Is it really safe to look at the dot reflected off the target surface? Your advice is really appreciated. Thank you.

Yes these offer very good protection, but even with them you should avoid direct reflections, even though these will protect you!

RobTheVIP said:
Yes these offer very good protection, but even with them you should avoid direct reflections, even though these will protect you!
Rob:
By "Direct Reflection," I assume you mean any mirror or shiny type surface which is essentially looking straight at the beam. But, off of objects such as balloons and matches would be safe? Thanks. And forgive my ignorance.

Yep. Even with these on, a direct reflection from a mirror that will hit your eyes is not a good idea. You shouldn't have to worry about it when lighting a match, popping a balloon, or any experiments of that sort. I mainly use mine when I am doing close up work like burning plastic or popping a balloon that is fairly close. It's kind of like wearing sunglasses and looking at the sun - it is still amazingly bright but they reduce a lot of the brightness. If you do happen to get a direct reflection, these goggles give you a chance to move out of the way but without your eyes being damaged.