Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why are Microcontrollers used with laser diode drivers?

preWarp

Hello. I am currently looking at the laser driver v3 for the laser 4 diy project on github. In the schematic for the driver it shows a teensy v4.0 which is a i.MX RT1060 series mcu based on cortex-m7. It is a 32 bit Arduino compatible MCU. The schematic shows 14 or so pins as Digital to Analog. The Teensy 4.0 pinout shows many different functions for these pins as if they are part of communication with the MCU itself.

Just trying to figure out why MCUs are used with power supplies used to drive laser diodes. I want to build beginners level or simple constant current dc sources that feature MCUs. I really want to learn about the connection between the computer controls and the needs for low noise constant current dc sources for driving laser diodes. Thanks

Laser4DIY2.pngLaser4DIY1.png

Often times these MPUs are used because they include a PWM which can be adjusted to give different output powers. That could possibly be the reason for using it in this case.