Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which is the most powerfull green laser diode on the market?

Death Ray

I was a beginner before, but i made my first 2 lasers (5mw and 250 mw, using a DVD hp RW 16x). And both are working very well.
My next step is to make a green laser, and actually the most powerfull green laser diode that i found is the NDG7475 1.3W 520nm, but before start im woundering if there is something most powerfull about 520/530 nm, and why most of diode around 2/5 Watts are blue??? Mystery...:unsure:

Anyway, I would like to know if there is some better green laser diode, just like the nubm44/47 blue 7Watts.
thx

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You don't know that yet?? Ah geez...

Visibility. Our eyes can see green nearly 100% due to having more green cones in our eyes. They don't need to be as powerful as red and blue to match brightness therefore the lesser needed power levels.
These are projector diodes and that is taken into account during their construction.

Just to throw in another comment for posterity. As unkown said, green has the highest visibility (lumens/W).

A reason that the highest power visible diodes come in blue is due to the physics and commercial applications. The commercial applications result in the necessary funding for research and development, and because the design differences for wavelengths is not trivial, the physics may also make high power blue diodes easier to produce. It's not much of a mystery for those who want to find out.

And as a final caviot, Infrared diodes come in higher powers than blue, as they are likely easier to produce like that and have many more commercial applications.

My biggest green is 1200++mw. I actually like playing with my 505nm green @ 60mw best because it is very bright
and not a fire hazard! I really like the shorter wavelength greens best.
Once they are class 4 they are not as much fun unless you like burning or freaking out the local area.

Sowee7

My biggest green is 1200++mw. I actually like playing with my 505nm green @ 60mw best because it is very bright
and not a fire hazard! I really like the shorter wavelength greens best.
Once they are class 4 they are not as much fun unless you like burning or freaking out the local area.
I had a quite small 1500mw 545nm DPSS laser module, it was small enough to put in a handheld and was extremely bright, it used Nd:GdCOB

To answer your question ("Which is the most powerfull [SIC] green laser diode on the market"), unless I'm mistaken the most powerful green diode is the NUGM04... rated at 1.35W @1.9A (rated operating current) and 1.6W (typical)@2.3A (rated Absolute Maximum current). I'm a little bit surprised that 4 comments down the discussion was everything but your answer regarding green lasers ;-)

Now, if you meant ANY green laser, either direct diode or frequency doubled DPSS... you can get 100W and more DPSS 532nm lasers for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
To answer your question ("Which is the most powerfull [SIC] green laser diode on the market"), unless I'm mistaken the most powerful green diode is the NUGM04... rated at 1.35W @1.9A (rated operating current) and 1.6W (typical)@2.3A (rated Absolute Maximum current). I'm a little bit surprised that 4 comments down the discussion was everything but your answer regarding green lasers ;-)

Now, if you meant ANY green laser, either direct diode or frequency doubled DPSS... you can get 100W and more DPSS 532nm lasers for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Is the NUGM04 capable of making a collumated single beam with low divergence? (maybe with on diode FAC correction at a cost of >20-30% output loss)

Im personally seeking the highest output power 505-530nm range green diode that is capable of producing a low divergence beam using pocket-pointer sized optics. Just looking for a single diode for my personal pointer, so lab samples or custom FAC lens options are welcome, and cost is not sensitive for diode or practical to package sized optics.

I had a quite small 1500mw 545nm DPSS laser module, it was small enough to put in a handheld and was extremely bright, it used Nd:GdCOB
Do you have a link or source to buy another of that 545nm module my friend?

Is the NUGM04 capable of making a collumated single beam with low divergence? (maybe with on diode FAC correction at a cost of >20-30% output loss)

Im personally seeking the highest output power 505-530nm range green diode that is capable of producing a low divergence beam using pocket-pointer sized optics. Just looking for a single diode for my personal pointer, so lab samples or custom FAC lens options are welcome, and cost is not sensitive for diode or practical to package sized optics.
From what I understand the NUGM04 is one of many high output terrible divergence diodes, somewhere between NUBM07 and NUBM44 terribleness, due to the size of the emitter itself. As you know, you can do several things to achieve lower divergence.

The best option for output quality would be 6X expansion cylinder correction lenses which would net you a square output of low divergence but with a largish size output leaving the host, perhaps 70mm X 70mm or larger. The optics may take up more space than you are interested in if you're looking for a pocket laser.

You can use a long FL lens like a 3 element lens or G8 to lower divergence, in a way this works similar to cylinder lenses to lower divergence at the expense of a larger output beam size but will still leave you with a bar rather than a spot and it won't help nearly as much for overall divergence as a cylinder pair would. A 3 element lens will clip quite a bit of output and will leave you with something like 30% loss, the G8 has nearly as good divergence but with much less loss.

You can use even longer FL lenses that are externally mounted (not screwed in to the module but rather mounted to the bore of your host) to achieve even lower divergence than even the 3 element lens with an added benefit of having no clipping but your beam output size will be rather large.

Or you could just get a Sharp GH05C01A9G which has half the divergence of any NUGM diode, use a G8 lens and be happy with 500-700mw of high quality low divergence green goodness.

If you want a really high quality, pencil thin low divergence beam get a single mode green diode but you're looking at about 200mw MAX but single mode dots look very bright due to the high power density of a low divergence beam.

Lasertree on ebay has custom made FAC NUGM and NUBM diodes but I am not clear on what is possible with those diodes, I do know you must use a very high FL lens to get a proper output with those.

Last edited: