Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to get laser goggles?

I want to be sure I get good laser goggles, so I am gonna ask here if anyone can point me in the right direction. I will be dealing with green, blue, and maybe UV lasers. I will probably be dealing with around 5mw to 400mw. Also, at what point is the 'dot' to bright too look at without protection? For example, if I wanted to show it to someone, I would not want to blind them. I think they would get mad at me. :thanks:

Survival Laser.

Please introduce yourself to the community and add location to your profile. It's worth going over some thread and do some self -research by using the search bar at the bottom of the forum.

as that would save you a lot of time as there has been a lot of resources accumulate here that would always answer general questions. :)

welcome to the forum from another new member.

Last edited:
Any laser over 5mw can be an eye hazard.

You are responsible for the safe operation and any damage done to others so know before you show, also putting on a laser display requires a variance in many cases, you must know the law.

When buying laser safety glasses you must know what wavelength you need to attenuate and you need to know how the laser safety glasses block/absorb that wavelength.

Understand that laser safety glasses are NOT meant to view a laser beam directed into the glasses, they are meant to protect you from brief accidental exposure as well as specular and diffuse reflections.

Some glasses may say 400nm - 550nm with a rating of OD5 but you need to understand that they may be OD5 at 475nm but only OD2 at 410nm so research the glasses and understand what you are buying.

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that you are protected.

As far as looking at the " dot " that depends on the power and the surface, here is a chart.

2011-12-eye-and-viz-hazard-chart-1-mrad.gif

Also be aware that diode pumped lasers such as typical 532nm lasers may have IR leakage, again you must make sure you are protected.

It's my opinion that showing off your laser to others ( except in a pre recorded video ) is risky and opens you up to liability, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Also because of the distraction hazard operating a laser in view of roadway traffic could cause a distraction, It's best to not draw attention to your lasing and save yourself unwanted trouble, another thing to be aware of is lens flare that can distract in a cone around your laser beam.

Last edited: