Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What will these safety glasses save me from?

divdiv

I borrowed (yes, really borrowed, not that permanent kind of borrowing) a pair of safety glasses from a co-worker. His lab uses lasers, but he doesn't work with them himself. I've ordered an RPL-300, and I'm thought I'd ask you guys if these goggles are appropriate.
The specs that are written on the front of the glasses are as follows.
For viewing of diffuse laser light only. 0.D.5@ 10.600NM. O.D. 7@ 190-532 NM

Will I go blind?

As long as your RPL is 532nm it looks like you will do just fine with the glasses. OD 7 is perfect when you get into higher power visible lasers. I don't, however, recommend you take a direct shot to the lenses. Diffuse viewing only.

divdiv

Thanks for recommending that I don't take a direct shot into the lenses. You guys are so caring it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I wasn't planning on doing so, but are there actually glasses available that are up to spec to save one from taking a direct shot in the eye from a fairly high powered laser? There are people that do blow their heads open trying to see if the barrel of their gun is blocked, so I imagine the same thing will happen eventually to some poor smuck trying to determine which is the front and which is the back of their laser.

divdiv said:
There are people that do blow their heads open trying to see if the barrel of their gun is blocked, so I imagine the same thing will happen eventually to some poor smuck trying to determine which is the front and which is the back of their laser.

That my friend, is called natural selection.

There are lenses you can purchase that will meet any direct exposure you want. These, however, are custom manufactured to your specifications and quite expensive. What you have there will provide you more than adequate protection from an RPL.

The most important thing about laser safety is not particularly the protective glasses you wear but proper beam control. This means you know where the beam is and what it is doing at all times. It does no good to wear glasses and work with a laser only to think you are safe and pump half your lasers energy out the window behind you due to a reflection and put someone else at risk. Just like a gun, know what's in the path and what you will be terminating against.

LarryQ

JacKz5o said:
[quote author=FusionIsTheFuture link=1195529260/0#5 date=1197154464]you want something that can take a shot to the lense?  try a welding helmet ^^ lol

I wouldn't be so sure :)[/quote]

DITTOS!!!!!

Use a welding hood...and enjoy the Blind spots in your vision ...for the rest of your Life.....
Larry