Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What should I know before buying my first laser pointer? I need advice! Please help

Benm

If you want to buy something safe and green, consider these things:

- it has to be 5 mW or less
- it actually has to output less than 5 mW

The latter seems moot, but in practical cases we see a lot of green lasers that are marketed as 5 mW devices, but actually produce a lot more. Especially cheap laserpointers can be very erradic when it comes to real power output - it could state 5 mW, but the actual power could easily be 20 mW if not more at some temperatures.

mdee4

If you want to buy something safe and green, consider these things:

- it has to be 5 mW or less
- it actually has to output less than 5 mW

The latter seems moot, but in practical cases we see a lot of green lasers that are marketed as 5 mW devices, but actually produce a lot more. Especially cheap laserpointers can be very erradic when it comes to real power output - it could state 5 mW, but the actual power could easily be 20 mW if not more at some temperatures.

OK, thanks for the info. But I believe that I am going to get either
Optotronics Product Details
or
Optotronics Product Details
But before I decide, what differences between the two would I notice?
Could the +40mw laser burn paper, pop balloons, light matches? If not, can the +55mw do that stuff?
How bad for your eyes is a +55mw?

In short, what advantages does the 55mw have over the 40mw? And how much more harm is the 55mw then the 40mw to your eyes?

mdee4

Before buying your first laser pointer,should know your local law,do not violate it.
Then you must know that never put the battery in wrong dierction,it may cause damage to your laser pointer.
At last,you must know that if do not use it some time,avoiding children or other guys who do not know laser pointer to touch it.

All that is true and I'm aware of that. Now I live in Maryland, USA. I believe the highest mw allowed by fda is 5. I want one that is 40mw or so. How could I get this to my house from optotronics.com then?