Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

warning letter from Virgin media - isp

My tip: Start reading www.p2pnet.net.

Lots of interesting articles, and also some good numbers... like the fact the RIAA has never won any of the cases it has brought to court from these p2p warning letters it sends out.

spyrorocks said:
...the RIAA has never won any of the cases it has brought to court from these p2p warning letters it sends out.

lol wut?

The RIAA has won TONS of cases. While some have been successfully appealed, lots of people have had to pay massive fines or at least huge legal fees.. Besides all that, almost all cases are settled out of court for fees ranging from $2000 to $11,000.. These are automatic wins for the RIAA. Send a letter, receive moneys. Almost all of these cases are settled this way and never reach court to begin with.

This lady fought her case in court and lost to the tune of $22,500: http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheMeter/050204.html

This man lost his case while trying to defend himself. He is ordered to pay $40,850: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/09/riaa-file-shari.html

This story mentions a woman whose ex-boyfriend accused her of music piracy, she wanted to defend herself in court but couldn't afford a lawyer, so she ignored the letter and the judge awarded a default judgment of $4,500 against her. http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/81003/some_strange_twists_in_music_piracy_lawsuits/

Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars they've sued out of p2p companies...

JLSE

I live in Canada, and have recieved 4 letters from the MPAA. I dont really download music, but rather old TV shows and movies. The ones that got me the notice were newer movies and a copy of a recent UFC event.

The government here is looking to set resonable fines of 500$ and hit as many people as they can. They have figured that a half million is a bit much :-?

It would seem that there may be an intersting issue with the way they are collecting IP's though.
The complaining party that notified my ISP (Rogers Cable) was ZUFFA which has the event rights for UFC. The strange part was that the offending download was put there by ZUFFA??? All of the fights were there, but all of the ZUFFA tags including the intro and theme music were removed?? Im guessing that they were the ones that hosted the torrent, and smell entrapment on this. But again, being in Canada kinda helps, for those in the US id be a little more worried..

If you only recieved one email from your ISP on this, I wouldnt freak out. I would however install a wireless access point, and go with the 'open network' 'ive been hacked' excuse if needed. It does seem to help in the cases it has been used in.

Or get a laptop, and do your downloading on open networks. If you do this stuff from your house, you may get away with it a few times, but....knock, knock, knock... :-/

Spend $14 a month on a VPS, make it a tor exit node for plausible denyability, turn on VPN, and tunnel into it from your home connection and download all the stuff you want without fear.

pseudolobster said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1228605579/0#16 date=1228972452]...the RIAA has never won any of the cases it has brought to court from these p2p warning letters it sends out.

lol wut?

The RIAA has won TONS of cases. While some have been successfully appealed, lots of people have had to pay massive fines or at least huge legal fees.. Besides all that, almost all cases are settled out of court for fees ranging from $2000 to $11,000.. These are automatic wins for the RIAA. Send a letter, receive moneys. Almost all of these cases are settled this way and never reach court to begin with.

This lady fought her case in court and lost to the tune of $22,500: http://www.chicagoreader.com/TheMeter/050204.html

This man lost his case while trying to defend himself. He is ordered to pay $40,850: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/09/riaa-file-shari.html

This story mentions a woman whose ex-boyfriend accused her of music piracy, she wanted to defend herself in court but couldn't afford a lawyer, so she ignored the letter and the judge awarded a default judgment of $4,500 against her. http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/81003/some_strange_twists_in_music_piracy_lawsuits/

Not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars they've sued out of p2p companies...[/quote]

I would think though, that the difference with those cases is that they never actually reached a court to be heard buy a Judge and a Jury, and we still don't know the ultimate resolution of any of those cases or even if they WERE resolved, we don't know if the RIAA actually got anywhere with them.

spyrorocks said:
Spend $14 a month on a VPS, make it a tor exit node for plausible denyability, turn on VPN, and tunnel into it from your home connection and download all the stuff you want without fear.

sorry but i dont know what does VPN mean...

well guys, it is now exactly one month since i get a letter... i am still affraid...
everything here is about RIAA and about laws in canada... but does anybody know anything about UK as it is place where i actually live...
everything i know is that BPI is here something like RIAA... there is only one think which make me clam and it is fact that only virgin know who exactly i am... it seems that the worst think which could happen is that i will be disconected...

milantheone said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1228605579/0#19 date=1229029014]Spend $14 a month on a VPS, make it a tor exit node for plausible denyability, turn on VPN, and tunnel into it from your home connection and download all the stuff you want without fear.

sorry but i dont know what does VPN mean...

well guys, it is now exactly one month since i get a letter... i am still affraid...
everything here is about RIAA and about laws in canada... but does anybody know anything about UK as it is place where i actually live...
everything i know is that BPI is here something like RIAA... there is only one think which make me clam and it is fact that only virgin know who exactly i am... it seems that the worst think which could happen is that i will be disconected...[/quote]

Shhhhhhhh, quiet...... is that someone at the door :-/

This doesn't say good things about our society. Is it really so bad to pay $1 for a song, or $15 for a movie? Artists have to work very hard for their money. Do you know how much record companies rip them off? Tool almost had to fold for lack of funds after their Aenema album due to P2P!

Laws are there for a reason. Every song you download for "free" is literally taking money out of the pockets of the bands that made them. Have a little more respect.

-Mark

here is the letter from BPI
http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/06/06/bpi_letter.pdf

like i sad after i recieved a letter i stopped each downloading immediatelly... i recieved a letter after 2 months of downloading and it was about one song track which was downloaded like my first song ever.... but what will be with songs which i download between this period???? BPI wrote that i must prevent this in future what means that after i recieved a letter... so can i have a trouble because of my trafic between period when they found me, than make a steps till a letter reached me.???
this campain could be educational and i was realy educated, scared and everything and i will never ever download...

but one question above still remains