Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using NiMh batteries for 1W+ lasers?

Would it be ok to drive a 1W+ laser off of 3x NiMh cells. Each cell (that I'm using) has about 50 mili-ohm impedance. So, in series there would be a whopping 150mOhm of impedance. Would it be OK to still use that to drive a laser, or should I just stick with a lithium cell?

Thanks!

I doubt the NiMH batteries could handle the load well. We all use lithium batteries for a reason bro. They are far superior for more reasons than I feel like typing on my phone lol.

Yes, NiMH would be fine. 3.6V is 3.6V is 3.6V. As long as the internal resistance doesn't cause unacceptable voltage sag, you can use any battery you like. Hell, you could use a 4V SLA if you were feeling adventurous.

Last edited:
Yes that would be fine. 3.6V is 3.6V is 3.6V. Hell, you could use a 4V SLA if you were feeling adventurous.

Hahaha. I know the voltage does work out nicely, and that is why I would like to use them. I'm going to use eneloops and from my experience they are pretty good at handling large current.

I doubt the NiMH batteries could handle the load well. We all use lithium batteries for a reason bro. They are far superior for more reasons than I feel like typing on my phone lol.

I'm a big fan of flashlights, and because of that I have a shit ton of lithium batteries, but I can't bring myself to take a part any of my Fenix lights to make my first host out of, so I am going to use and old NEBO light from my handgun. It uses 3x AAA, and would be perfect for my 1W laser. And then I can put it on my gun :evil:

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect much runtime on three little AAA NiMH batteries though. As far as I know NiMH drains its capacity much faster than lithium does as current increases which is why any super high draw device of good grade runs lithium. Not to mention the greately increased density of power capacity. I would suggest getting three 10440 lithiums and modifying the powerpack to run them in parallel.

That's the best idea I've ever heard.... I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you!

As far as I know NiMH drains its capacity much faster than lithium does as current increases which is why any super high draw device of good grade runs lithium.

Nah, NiMH is good for high current, too. Two examples would be "the torch" battery and battery packs for many (most?) power tools. Energy per unit weight is higher for lithium, but energy per unit volume isn't much higher.

I'm not saying NiMH is better than lithium, I'm just saying NiMH isn't a bad choice.

Well, 3 eneloops are rated at 800mAh. 3 IMR 10440 cells (350mAh each) would be 1050mAh and have about 30mΩ internal impedance (80% less than the NiMh!)

I guees I get the laser up and running with AAAs and then I can move to 10440 once I know it's worth the $20.

Well, 3 eneloops are rated at 800mAh. 3 IMR 10440 cells (350mAh each) would be 1050mAh and have about 30mΩ internal impedance (80% less than the NiMh!)

I guees I get the laser up and running with AAAs and then I can move to 10440 once I know it's worth the $20.

Sounds like a solid plan bro.