Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using a LEP with an orange filter?

Stupid me is getting ideas for another project while still in the midst of my current project dating back 10+ years...

After coming across LEPs here in an Acebeam W30 thread I've been looking into them a little and came across some that have color filters, typically red, green, and blue. A couple videos I watched with the green filter made a spectacular looking green beam, so it looked in the video anyway...

So I came across orange light filters for photography and I was wondering how one of these would look if placed over a LEP. Would it make a nice orange beam?
Hoping someone here may have some thoughts on this...

The LEP flashlights throw a narrower beam, but there no laser, you would likely be disappointed with an orange filter.

Here's an LEP from a car headlight I tested, not much red/orange anyway.

SANY6102.JPG

Last edited:
Hm, so what I was envisioning would be nice with the LEP beam characteristics and was thinking the orange filter may somewhat imitate an orange laser, albeit in more of a beamier beam than a laser beam.

Being orange diodes are either scarce or costly, this idea hatched as potentially a way to emulate one to give the effect of having an orange beam.

Having looked into LEPs further I've seen some cars use them, is that one you've made into a flashlight?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well it would do this essentially however the emission might be weak. It all depends on the phosphor and its spectrum.
Its old stage lighting concepts.

1667398616113.png

If you are filtering and only allowing orange you are limiting the output to whatever intensity of orange the white light consists of.
So if you are hoping for a nice bright orange beam, you may be disappointed in seeing a weakly visible orange hue instead.

Can the originating white light's orange content be guesstimated based on specs given for LEPs?

I just came across dichroic glass, this seemingly may achieve the desired effect. But there too I guess it would only be as effective as how much orange spectrum is in the originating light.

Came across this DIY on it from Two Way Mirrors. Damn Halloween thread, girl in the video kept getting imagined in anime costume...

In the meantime, enjoy this video:

Last edited:
The projectors we tear down have red/orange phatlights, you can make a flashlight easily and you can zoom the beam but not like an LEP, but LEP is not a laser anyway.

This is what I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224651636483?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=243023&meid=203501e10d6141ccade596a3d63dfa58&pid=101113&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=313952398052&itm=224651636483&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2563228&algv=DefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2109

These are shine through phosphors rather than refracts.

Last edited:
Interesting... So the last two, the ones that shine through phosphorus, have a wider beam dispersion, any idea if this is due to not being refraction style or is it the lens that gives it the tighter beam LEPs have?

Interesting too are the phlatlights. They're LEDs and to change from red to amber it looks like you just change polarity on DTRs website. Are they fairly bright?
Hopefully will be placing an order with him soon, thinking I'll pick one up for S&Gs.

No you can only power the diode array in one direction, however the later version is orange and is wired differently, but do not power either backwards.

Some of those LEP modules have lenses, some don't.......you can of course add your own lenses.

No you can only power the diode array in one direction, however the later version is orange and is wired differently, but do not power either backwards.

Some of those LEP modules have lenses, some don't.......you can of course add your own lenses.
Ah, yeah that didn't seem too sensical, but images showed polarities opposite for amber and red but are two different units.

I ordered some cheap Chinese dichroic glass rounds to play with, should be here by December lol