Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Ushio HL63623HD 1.5W 638nm Diode

ChromeCaviar

Hello, I am interested in this diode, but I couldn't find any info on here about it, so I decided to gather the information I've found and post it here. Seems like a direct successor to the popular HL63283HD diode which I see used for lots of ~1W red builds. I'm curious about why I can't find any examples of this new diode being used, other than the price it appears to be a direct improvement. The new diode is available on LaserTree's eBay store, and seems to be a few years old. I decided to put the spec sheets next to each other for easy comparison.

GridArt_20240814_112751996 (1).jpg

GridArt_20240814_112922986 (1).jpg

GridArt_20240814_113140669 (1).jpg

I found this information posted as a news release on Ushio's European website, dated 4th March 2021:

"Over recent years, Ushio has contributed to the expansion of laser projectors through our proactive suggestion of high-power red LD products within the market. In 2017, we launched two types of emitters: the single emitter HL63283HD (637 nm, CW 1.2 W) and the dual emitter HL63290HD (638 nm, CW 2.2 W, pulsed 2.8 W). In 2019, we launched HL63520HD, a dual emitter with an impressive pulsed optical output power of 3.5 W (638 nm, CW 2.4 W, pulsed 3.5 W). As such, Ushio has contributed to the optimisation of the optical design of various projectors by offering a varied line-up of products with differing light output and emitting options.

The new HL63623HD is a single emitter LD with CW optical output power of 1.5 W. We have optimised the crystal growth conditions and chip structure in order to maintain high optical output power and high efficiency, even in high temperature environments. We successfully improved the chip performance by significantly refining the light extraction efficiency and heat dissipation from the chip.

As a single emitter LD, HL63623HD has achieved an outstanding CW optical output power of 1.5 W and a lifetime of 20,000 hours, contributing to the higher brightness, lower cost, and longer life of laser projector light sources. A CW optical output power of 1.0 W at 55°C has also been achieved, allowing for further simplification of the cooling system. Although HL63623HD is well-suited to laser projectors, it is also compatible with display and illumination applications in the 638nm region that require high power red LDs with high visual sensitivity."

A few months ago I bought a Tinker Tavern 1600mW 638nm laser in the WL-style host, believing it to use the new HL63623HD diode. I received that laser and took this picture of the diode:
PXL_20240801_203945820.RAW-01.COVER~3.jpg
Sure looks like one of the two Ushio diodes, can't tell which version it is though. I don't have a way to measure the output, but it is extremely bright, even during the day. And it is definitely red. Let me know if beamshots are desired ;)

Anyways, I hope somebody else can share their experience with this diode, and maybe @tinkertavernco can confirm whether the HL63623HD is the diode used in the laser I bought. Cheers and happy lasing 😎💥🔦

Back