Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Uranium

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
A few pictures of my Uranium element cube. First by itself, second was under a 365nm LED light, third was with my 395nm LED light, and the last was with a ~15mW 488nm laser.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Very cool. Nice little piece of uranium. Have you tested it on a Geiger counter?

I recently picked up a piece of art deco uranium glass at a vintage fair. I had a modern uranium pebble already but uranium glass from that era has a higher content.
It’s being gifted to me for Xmas though so can’t photograph it until after then.
Because I collect crystals as well I’m looking into building a small display shelf that has inbuilt 385nm led strip lighting. However do you notice a strong difference using 365nm?They cost 3x as much to buy though. I have a 10w 385nm led and it does a good job. So is it worth investing in 20nm less or stick with the 385nm strips?

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Very cool. Nice little piece of uranium. Have you tested it on a Geiger counter?

I recently picked up a piece of art deco uranium glass at a vintage fair. I had a modern uranium pebble already but uranium glass from that era has a higher content.
It’s being gifted to me for Xmas though so can’t photograph it until after then.
Because I collect crystals as well I’m looking into building a small display shelf that has inbuilt 385nm led strip lighting. However do you notice a strong difference using 365nm?They cost 3x as much to buy though. I have a 10w 385nm led and it does a good job. So is it worth investing in 20nm less or stick with the 385nm strips?

I don't have a Geiger counter unfortunately. It could be because whatever material the cube is made of blocks some of the 365nm light, but I find the cube fluoresces better under the 395nm than the 365nm. I can't be 100% sure that the wavelength ratings are correct, but the 395 does looks much more violet and is much more visible in person, while the 365 is much dimmer and is a very pale ghostly violet. (Unfortunately, my camera doesn't pick this up exactly as it appears in person.)

These were the UV lights I used, just randomly found them in a local hardware store and had to buy them. :LOL:

20220718_153812.jpg

Closest I could get to how I saw it with my camera: 395 on the left, 365 on the right.

uvlights.jpg

Nice find on those inspection lights, those random finds kill me! Although if I stopped strolling through hardware & tool sections every chance I got...
A technician left this at my house a few years ago, LED powered UV light for detecting refrigerant leaks. Not very bright, but I'll have to play with it a little more with the stones I have. Not expecting much though.
1667834219672.png

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I don't have a Geiger counter unfortunately. It could be because whatever material the cube is made of blocks some of the 365nm light, but I find the cube fluoresces better under the 395nm than the 365nm. I can't be 100% sure that the wavelength ratings are correct, but the 395 does looks much more violet and is much more visible in person, while the 365 is much dimmer and is a very pale ghostly violet. (Unfortunately, my camera doesn't pick this up exactly as it appears in person.)

These were the UV lights I used, just randomly found them in a local hardware store and had to buy them. :LOL:

20220718_153812.jpg

Closest I could get to how I saw it with my camera: 395 on the left, 365 on the right.

uvlights.jpg
Nice torches. It could be the resin. Most resins however glow blue/green under uv absorption. 365nm will also eradicate the visible scattering left over in the torch emission too. I wonder if its a bit of both?

I’ve decided to opt for 365nm. But I found a flexible curing head that has a 5W led in it. Much more affordable than 365nm led strip lighting. I’m also looking into to purchasing more fluorescent crystals to feature on my shelves. Hopefully I’ll be able to share some nice fluorescence to start off the next year.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25561356...dVcrK2CIJ1qwvw%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

I have a U glass marble that I took a spectrum of with my Oceans Optics spectrometer. The glass looks yellow/green to my eyes while fluorescing and the range under the spectrometer is 460nm to about 600nm. The highest part of the spectrum is right around 500nm to 560nm.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I was tempted to do a spectral analysis myself. I wanted to see if there are any notable differences between 1920/30's uranium glass and modern uranium marbles. I have both. I also have just ordered a few more fluorescent crystals, including hyalite opal and cupro-adamite which is known to contain traces of uranium. 530nm and 565nm seem to be pretty prominent peaks from what I have seen online.

Also I mistakenly ordered the 395nm led spotlamp so I had to reorder and get the 365nm one. But it turned out to be a happy accident.

This is uranium glass. It's one of the materials that actually prefers 380nm+.

I own 365, 385 and 395nm UV LED's, and 408nm lasers. So this is where they lie.

1668024769573.png

Last edited: