Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Universal C6 5x Beam Expander Build [Build and Beamshots][Tonz'o'Pics]

3Pig

dnolnYs.jpg

JfeOBQL.jpg

The idea to this came from looking at my random stuff and a strong desire for a beam expander(MAN THEY ARE AWESOME!), and after seeing some other diy expanders I decided to have a go myself with the parts I had on hand... which isnt much. There's no fancy 50 dollar lens sets here, just crap from the parts bin.

This Beam Expander is universal to all C6 lasers (unless you have a massive focus knob) ;) , swapping the expander to another laser takes less than 10 seconds and is very secure once attached, looks great and has no wiggle :D Pretty good for something made from scrap parts :p

kinda feels like screwing on a silencer :drool:

TLggOPR.gif

Its only 4.5 meg don't worry :p ^​

Ingredients :p

2 21x8mm Single convex lenses (put together to form a biconvex) can get 5 for 3 bucks from DX
1 Objective lens from an old set of binoculars (fits in C6 retaining ring)
2 C6 Retaining ring's (the top bit)
1 C6 cylnder bit (bit before the retaining ring) (sorry for the description, but i have no idea what else to call it)
1 Old flashlight body (any tube the right ID would work)
PVC spacer fabricated from some pvc pipe
Misc bolts
Sillicon glue

Tools: (nothing too fancy)
Hacksaw
Drill
Homemade tap (made from a bolt)
Metal files
Vice

I would say this build cost a total of 0 dollars, since the C6's had terrible threads and the other parts were left over from other projects or have been in the parts bin for years.

TO THE BUILD!

First thing to figure out was the attachment to the host, this was much easier than I had thought, since the flashlight tube is pretty much airtight around a c6 host. Basically I needed to get the tube bit of a c6 host to press on the heatsink like the retaining ring (top bit) would on a normal host. Pic below should explain it much better :p

4hZxa1j.png

To connect the bit that attaches to the host to the expander tube I used a set screw, since I don't have a tap and die set I had to do a bit of thinking, since aluminum is a pretty soft metal, I decided to try making a thread tap by cutting some grooves into a steel bolt, it actually worked great :D

panUbqG.png

Now everything's ready for the final assembly:

jZcah2q.jpg

Since you made it to the bottom of this post, you deserve some BEAMSHOTS!

DdFFtJy.jpg

Overall I really enjoy expanded beams, they just feel more lightsabery :p and the extra distance is extremely visible with my 532, projecting onto clouds much further than ever before. I am definitely planning a high power 638 now that I can get that divergence to a normal level.

Thanks for looking guys :)

Last edited: