Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trying to Find a Circular Laser Pointer for use on a Tabletop

Hey forum! I am on the hunt for a laser pointer that will create a circle shape pointing down on a tabletop. I need three different sizes, 3", 4", and 5" rings (or I can simply move the laser up and down on a stand to adjust the size). The templates we use currently look like this:
91034%20Warmachine%20MkII%20Templates.jpg

The are held above a model to see if an explosion hits other models on the tabletop. It is pretty inaccurate, so I am hoping to use a laser to accurately identify if a model is within the blast radius.
6039788253_ee33fd291e_z.jpg

I currently have a Games Workshop laser that makes a crosshair which you can see here:
gw_wh40k_los.gif

It is fairly accurate, but its a bit small and would have to be held really high above the table to create a 5" circle on the tabletop. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

vatcat

I had a need for a 5" diameter, laser-drawn circle a few days ago, so I made my own. I cut a 3/4" plywood circle 6" in diameter; drilled a center hole for a press fit onto the shaft of an old 120v, 1750RPM motor; drilled a hole at 2-1/2" radius for a snug fit of a toy laser point (we have cats). The toy laser wasn't pointing straight, but all I had to do was rotate the pointer itself until it gave me my 5" circle. In my case, I needed to run a 5" tube into the side of a 55 gal. drum, but off-center; this method gave me the exact shape of the hole to cut (sort of egg-shaped). You could put holes for mounting a small pointer at any diameter you choose.