Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Trimming LavaDrive to fit inside AixiZ Module

This is my first build, and I was wondering if someone could post better instructions on fitting an LavaDrive (v2) inside an AixiZ module. From the instruction sheet that came with the lavadrive, it appears as though it can be trimmed to fit.

So the question is -- should it be done? I plan on using an Dorcy Jr. as a host, does the driver need to be inside the AixiZ?

Thanks!!
-Bill

Bill,

The newer darkhorse heatsinks can fit the lavadrive without the aixiz module. They have a slot in the back. To make the electrical connection to the battery, there's more than one way but I usually de-solder the components from the Dorcy driver board and solder leads to that. If you decide to go this route be careful de-soldering the small coil as that's where you'll hook on for the positive connection. For the negative, you can either solder to the small metal ring/spacer that goes around the circuit board or look for vias and find an appropriate pad on the top of the board. You'll also need to modify the plastic plug that sits over the circuit board. The hole in the center sits flush on the circuit board so it needs to be trimmed off to allow the leads through... (see picture)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
kernelpanic

Attachments

• plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 111
thanks for the reply..

unfortunately I already purchased the standard "darkhorse" heatsink. (not the new one). I dont have my host yet --still in transit-- hopefully I will figure something out. I just hate re-inventing the wheel, how do others mount the lavadrive/AixiZ in a Dorcy Jr?

Bill,

If you've got the old heatsink style, then-
1. Remove the Dorcy driver board altogether. It's in the body not the head. Just press it out from the battery hole.
2. Replace the plastic plug in the host backwards(nipple out) without modifying it.
3. desolder the LED bulb from the star shaped aluminum heatsink.
4. Solder the flexdrive onto the leads the LED was on and lay it flat on the star with a layer of electrical tape between. Put the entire bulb-assembly with your new driver instead of the bulb back into the host. The spring will now contact the positive battery terminal instead of the Dorcy driver and give power to the driver.

My first Dorcy blu-ray was built this way and it's still going strong after 100+ hours.

cheers,
kernelpanic