Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Traveling at the speed of light...

too bad the "sound of speed" thing isnt as confusing or smart as it thinks it is lol

sound in that case is the experience/perception of sound. in the speed of sound case, sound is a physical phenomenon. speed however isnt and neither is sound when taken in the context. so yeah, using same word to talk about 2 different things, then trying to use the other meaning in a different context but in the same way=fail attempt to be smart lol

Tux

quantum mechanics? Faster than the speed of light?

Check out my post in the laser computer thread. It may clear some things up.

Last edited:

Jorad

I'm fairly certain it would look like it was going 1mph... relatively speaking the light speed ship would be going 1mph. just like a fly flying in your car... while you are in the car it appears to fly to the front at lets say 1m/s however someone of the sidewalk would see it flying at (your car speed)+1m/s.

I'm fairly certain it would look like it was going 1mph... relatively speaking the light speed ship would be going 1mph. just like a fly flying in your car... while you are in the car it appears to fly to the front at lets say 1m/s however someone of the sidewalk would see it flying at (your car speed)+1m/s.
In the context of this thread, this is wrong. To a person on the side of the road, the fly appears to be flying at

(your car speed + 1m/s)/(1+((your car speed * 1m/s)/c^2)).
If your car were going at 10 m/s, to a person on the sidewalk the fly would be moving at about 10.9999999m/s, NOT 11m/s.

Jorad

In the context of this thread, this is wrong. To a person on the side of the road, the fly appears to be flying at

(your car speed + 1m/s)/(1+((your car speed * 1m/s)/c^2)).
If your car were going at 10 m/s, to a person on the sidewalk the fly would be moving at about 10.9999999m/s, NOT 11m/s.

True. I forgot to read everything lol... rhe difference is minuscule however when we are looking at the speed of light those differences are multiplied greatly. Like if you're .001 degree off of a coordinate and your coordinate is 1foot away you basically get there however if it is light-years away it becomes light-years off course.