Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Total noob to lasers, need some help picking one.

zachlr

Hey everyone.  I'm a total noob to lasers and I need some help finding one.  Basically all I'm using it for is fun.  Pointing it up in the air, waiving it around, etc. (meaning I also want a visible beam if they exist). I also saw on youtube that you can pop balloons and light matches and such with some high powered ones, definitely want to try that.  

As for mW, I can afford about 130 dollars for one of these max. and I'd like to get the highest one for that money (so long as I'm not sacrificing other attributes).  I also want to keep it legal though, I read it is illegal for a regular joe to carry a laser above 25 mW (using the word "carry" loosely; I probably won't take it out in public often), is this true? I'm also under 18, not sure about any laws  with minors and lasers?  In addition, I read there is a 5 mW cap on out of U.S. imports, so it needs to be shipped from inside the U.S. if this is true.  I also saw beam divergence on a lot of the specs, what is this and will it make a difference for what I want to use my laser for?

As far as additional features, some kind of "dimming" feature would be nice, so I can pop a balloon and play with my cat using the same laser, but it is NOT a deciding factor, I can pick up a 1.00 dollar laser at a yardsale to play with her.  Also maybe some cool tips or adjustable focus/lens type of thing would be cool, but again, not a deciding factor.  Lastly, I've seen some lasers on youtube and pictures that (at least give the impression that they) can turn into a flat, wide beam, or a line when shined on the ground which would be nice.  It's not a heart breaker if I have to use a dot though.  

Quality wise, I just want it to play around with for the most part, so I don't need a expensive professional elite thing, but I don't want a really crappy one that will break a week after the 90 day return period is up ether. I noticed some websites have a lifetime in hours listed for the laser, not sure how much that varies, but I want to get my money's worth out of it.  

I chose green only because it is my favorite color, but if there are better deals or you recommend a different color, color isn't a deciding factor (I'm not picky).  Like I said, my budget is about 130 dollars, give or take.  Links/models of specific lasers would be preferred, but any help is appreciated.  That's all I can think of at the moment, other than anything else you think I should know.

Thanks,
Zach

zachlr

Re: Total noob to lasers, need some help picking o

Thanks for the recommendation ben74.  I like it, but after looking at the chart on the website,  I think I will ask for it as an early Christmas present and go for the 100 mW version.  I had no idea consumer-level lasers were this powerful, much less legal.  I also want to get the lens holder and lenses, as well as safety glasses.  I guess I'll put in the order in some time in the next few days, still taking suggestions though.

You shoudl be fine just using it, as long as you don't do anything stupid like point it at a plane/helicopter or anything like that.
Most people use these lasers for doing just what you described, pointing at the sky and pointing out stuff etc.

Don't quote me on this, but i think its only illegal to import lasrs over 5mw, not to own them, so i don't think you would get in any trouble at all from just carrying one around. Besides, if you're not doing anything illegal with it, they(your average cop) most likely won't be able to tell it froma legal 5mw version.

Safety is one thing that you should read up on in the safety section on this board.
The only real danger to you is your eyes, ie. getting blinded.
It won't burn your hand unless you leave in on there for a while and it won't make things explode by poingting at them.

I'm pretty sure that Nova has a shipping assurance program where if your laser is confiscted by customs, then they send you a new one, but double check that.

Hope I helped, and somebody else will probably be along shortly to reaffirm what i said or correct me if i'm wrong.

Any laser above 5mW is illegal to use in public areas (in the US). In order for it to be legal it has to have the 5-pointless safety system, as shown on all LaserGlow lasers, such as the hercules series.