Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Toshiba DVD player diode pinout

I just took apart a Toshiba DVD/CDRW drive from a laptop.  I haven't been able to find the pinout for this diode.  It's rectangular with rounded edges and has 12(!) pins arranged as so

x x x x x
               x             o
                 x x x x x

where the o pin is grounded to the case.  I has some writing on it which appears to read "C6fk3" but the "3" looks like backwards "E".  It has a thick piece of glass glued to the output with a small coated area on the middle of it.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

thats a IR diode for sure. the glass is the IR filter.

you need to get the diode from a DVD RW. just because it sayd DVD/CD RW doesnt mean it is a DVD RW / CD RW. usually means it is a DVD drive/ CD RW drive.

give us a picture and we could probably help you out some

DJEEPER said:
thats a IR diode for sure. the glass is the IR filter.

I thought 655nm was used to read DVD disks...  

Why would there be an IR filter if it's an IR diode?

No camera, or I'd post a pic. :/

all i know is that non DVD burning drives do not have the 650nm diode in them. only the 808.

and yeah, the glass isnt IR... sorry... i think its some sort of filter, but i have only found them on IR diodes....

good luck!

Nope, dvd players contain a low power red diode and an ir, most likely what that is is an ir laser possible 80mw and a opitcal pickup all in the same can (no pun intended ;D)

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D