Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tool AAA host. Maybe?

GSS

Ok somehow missed the biggest part of swapping 3 modules.:)
So another Jayrob inspired build;)

Your not posting pic's so it's a little hard to understand your idea's but just took a look on Amazon of these Tool AAA's. The 3 different material hosts seem to have a different size tail switch. Some screw in and interchange between the hosts but some don't according to one guys review. Maby buy one with the longer tail switch and work with that, or have a very small extention tube built by someone that will let you run a 1/2 AAA or "what ever is available" or 10440 and use a driver for each module that uses "1" 3.7V source.

Last edited:

Bacon

Ill have to look at this again on my break :)
I have a copper Tool AAA that I swapped the driver and led HS. Its defiantly a novelty hand warmer; so I would probably only keep it max 50mW, but they are fun looking.

(I fixed the pictures in the 1st post. My server i was renting to host the pics blew up last week... luckily I was backing them up)

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Ill have to look at this again on my break :)
I have a copper Tool AAA that I swapped the driver and led HS. Its defiantly a novelty hand warmer; so I would probably only keep it max 50mW, but they are fun looking.

(I fixed the pictures in the 1st post. My server i was renting to host the pics blew up last week... luckily I was backing them up)
that That 10440 is oh so close.. If you can find someone to build a small extention tube 1/2 inch isn't going to be really noticeable.
Pman loved to build pen lights and as he didn't have a lathe he improvised by going to store's like Walmart and looking at different flashlights on the rack and always found something on one "piece wise" that would work.
Spend a couple hours at a well stocked hardware store and look at every isle, not just electronics and you will come up with something to hand fabricate. Tons of draws with different screws, nut's, o rings, key ways, etc... I used to be followed at my local Ace Hardware by employee's thinking I was stealing because I went from one isle to another isle randomly and looking at every imaginal thing that might work till they got to know me.

that That 10440 is oh so close.. If you can find someone to build a small extention tube 1/2 inch isn't going to be really noticeable.

I know it's not a common size and generally only avaliable as no-name china cells - but if you need about 1/2" of space why not use a 10280? I've got some rated at 200mAh that I got for a couple of £ a pop from AliExpress a little while back...

Reactions: GSS

LaserRanger

Yeah sorry, I might not be doing a good job at describing what I did lol.
Im trying to say that I put together 3 different diodes in aixiz modules with their own driver and I can unscrew the head of the flashlight and pull out the diode with driver of the first "module" (diode pressed in to an aixiz module and driver soldered on the diode) I made 3 of these, 405nm, 445nm and 520nm, and I can unscrew the head, pull out the laser module and put in a different one inside the flashlight host and if I ever wanted to put the LED back in, it would be just as simple because I did not modify the host at all.
Im also having trouble uploading pictures, they are somehow too large?

Edit: OK finally got a picture to upload.
No mods to the host. Just used a Chinese laser pen driver, cut the pins to shorten or leave them long to keep the module pressed against the battery and the heat shrink tube it to give it a snug fit inside the battery tube without shorting out the driver. There's a piece of black foam on the spring to keep it centered, just like in the cheap pointer pens.
Hope you guys enjoy this. I wouldn't call it a mod.. I'm not sure what to call it but it works 15452299292569084689307889748741.jpg

Last edited:

GSS

I know it's not a common size and generally only avaliable as no-name china cells - but if you need about 1/2" of space why not use a 10280? I've got some rated at 200mAh that I got for a couple of £ a pop from AliExpress a little while back...
Bacon chimed in on this post so there's 2 builders involved of this host so it's confusing somewhat.
Now Bacon is a experienced builder so wondering why he hasn't used a 10280?
Now Laser Ranger seems to have a screw on top module swap thing in the making?

LaserRanger

Bacon chimed in on this post so there's 2 builders involved of this host so it's confusing somewhat.
Now Bacon is a experienced builder so wondering why he hasn't used a 10280?
Now Laser Ranger seems to have a screw on top module swap thing in the making?

Technically I am not machining or making anything. My tool AAA is a copper body. I'm just using the front part of a copper aixiz module with the diode pressed in and the driver soldered directly to the diode. The 12mm module fits inside flashlight head and is held down by the lip where the o-ring would normally sit sealing the led with the reflector and glass.
Then I use contact springs on the driver end that goes to the battery and centering it with something non conductive like foam so it's held in place and on the rest of the driver board I added shrink tube so that the board does not short out with the battery tube and it also makes it a more snug fit and won't have the board sliding out or rattling inside the host. The switch spring plus the 10180 battery give some tension on the driver and also pushes/holds the module forward making contact at the flashlight head. Then i simply put the focusing ring to the optic lense and install and adjust. This can work with case negative or neutral diodes I still haven't thought of a way to get case positive to work but I'm feeling lucky

GSS

Oh ok Bacon is the Op of this thread, I got all mixed up;)
So LaserR you have 2 working module swaps and working on the case positive diode:)

LaserRanger

Oh ok Bacon is the Op of this thread, I got all mixed up;)
So LaserR you have 2 working module swaps and working on the case positive diode:)

I have 3 working module swaps and I'm working on a 505nm diode and I wanted to try out a 638nm diode.. I need more of those cheap ebay drivers. I'll be making an order for some soon. This project got me more excited about lasers! 😎20181229_193010.jpg

Last edited:

LaserRanger

Update! Now with a 488nm diode in my favorite edc host, finally got some good quality batteries for it too. My favorite laser pointer that I've modified so far is the copper tool AAA

20190111_092135.jpg