Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TO-3 Laser Diode Heatsink/Press fit Module

Does anybody know where I can get a heatsink for a TO-3 2 watt IR laser diode? Press fit like the Aixiz modules is what I would like, and it doesn't have to have optics. I've looked around the forum but it doesn't seem like many people here make IR diode lasers, but to those who have, what type of heatsink did you use? Any help would be appreciated!

Hell on a TO-3 you can use any commercial electronic heatsink for TO-3 power transistors. they work great. For extra cooling you can drill out and tap mounting holes on the bottom of a CPU cooler heatsink with fan for a fan cooled diode or even mount it to a TEC cooler. TO-3 are nice for those kinds of things.

Now the question is, concerning press fit, are you talking about a 9mm TO-5?

So would something like this work? > http://www.futurlec.com/Heatsinks/TO3SD.shtml

Even when mounted to a TEC and additional heatsinking, do you think that diamond shaped heatsink would pull enough heat?

And yes this is a TO-3 diode, something like the bigger ones in this picture

cp-L081-1.jpg

Well since you will most likely be burning the crap out of everything you see with it, I'd go bigger on the heatsink. Put your heatsink behind the TO-3 package so no cooling vanes or fins are ahead of the emitters. This way you have a clear area to the front for mounting the collimating optics as this will undoubtedly be a lab type laser.

Oh and as an afterthought, since you have plenty of room, consider using a computer thermal temperature sensor on the heatsink so you can keep an eye on the temperature of the diode. A cheap way to prevent an unexpected failure.

Zom-B

For a 2 watt laser diode I would at least go for a 10 watt heat sink. Something looking like this is more like what you seek:

HS-116.jpg

Zom-B said:
For a 2 watt laser diode I would at least go for a 10 watt heat sink. Something looking like this is more like what you seek:

HS-116.jpg
Thanks, I have that site favorited now, I'll pick that one up once I buy my diode! I never knew that it would be this easy to heatsink one of these diodes.

Thanks to everybody for the help, I'll be sure to show a bunch of pictures and videos of the build and the burning fun.

Zom-B

I never knew that it would be this easy to heatsink one of these diodes.

This is a very common shape for power transistors used in anything electronic and powerful. Audio amplifiers, power supplies, ovens, TV's, etc.

I actually found this image on images.google.com. I wouldn't know if it is a good shop (or a shop at all). I recommend checking your local dealers first. They will surely have something similar.

I have one that has a flat bottom, for easy mounting it on a metal chassis. When the diode is mounted on the wrong side, the optics can be added easily (as pointed out by FrothyChimp)

Attachments

• Hpim4133_small.jpg
    Hpim4133_small.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,854
I hate to ask such noobish questions, but I just can't find any info on these things around here! Here is my question: is $85 a good price on a 2 watt IR diode from here?

I seem to recall a few people complained about Tony but there were some more established and knowledgeable people on the site that indicated Tony is good to work with. With shipping you are looking at $105 to the US plus about $3.00 for customs duty and up to $20.00 for FDA/Shippers hold if it gets popped for an FDA inspection. All depends on what Tony puts on the customs declaration. Is the price still good? I don't know. But it's been said that a good price is what you are willing to pay. Are you ready to go and need the diode now? If not, get your driver together and tested, your heat sinks and control systems and enclosure and keep an eye on the prices and order when you need it. You might find one cheaper. There might even be some on the the boards that might have a few of these floating around that may give them up for a really good price.