Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Thoughts on what I should do w/ Cypress IIIB host?

Recently Sinner offered up some great hosts, for those of you who are not famillar with the cypress IIIB host it is an aluminum body with a copper core(press fit into the aluminum head) around a 12mm barrel where an Aixiz or DTR module would be set with a set screw.
With this host I have 2X 26650 keeppower cells.

Options:
1. Right now I have a 1.1W 520 driven @ 2.3A in a 501B host. I like it. The laser works perfectly but I really don't push the run times because of the small host. ( despite the large copper heatsink + only two 18350s)
I could disassemble the 501b and put it in the cypress IIIB host. HOWEVER I am a believer in "if it's not broken don't fix it" at the time it was a $700 diode/driver.
I am fairly confident I won't have a problem but the possibility is there. BUT afterward I would have a solid super stable host for the pricy diode.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/1w-520-501b-host-w-pictures-88737.html.

2. Take advantage of the size and capacity and install one of the new 3.5W 445s. Here is the catch. The host head is set up for a typical 16.8 mm driver, I have a 4A 26mm SXB circular driver. It would be possible to remachine the Heat sink to fit in the larger driver. After which I would have to do something creative for the + battery contact. The larger driver will fit without harming the threads.
Con: cost of the diode and I am not ready to take apart my duel angel breath build.

3. Other ideas? Save for later diode options that might pop up within the next year or two?

Right now this is just feeler, but what do you guys think?
Jefferson.

Last edited:

Id go for one of the new 4-5 W 445's ;) Ill be building one of these soon...;):beer:

I might do that. There's a few lasers I might put up for sale soon so maybe I could use that money for the diode.

Just FYI Lazeerer has some new SXB-V8 drivers, which are adjustble up to 5 A. :D Ive already ordered one in preparation for mine... ;):beer:

FYI the SXB-V8 wont fit in there, I tried...;) Youll need the all copper Cypreus II, thats the only one with enough room to fit this driver.:beer:

Last edited: