Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

the main problem with Wicked's products

ixfd64

I don't want to start another Wicked-bashing thread, but through my experiences, I've noticed some problems with Wicked's products. Please take this as constructive criticism rather than an attack.

Anyways, here are the main problems with Wicked's products:

1. cosmetic problems

Both the cases of my "Core" and my "Advanced" lasers have had their paint (the "Wicked Lasers" text) falling off. Also, when my "Advanced" arrived, it showed some signs of abrasion. While this is a minor issue, it will still give potential customers a bad impression.

2. quality issues

Some of Wicked's products, especially Fusions and Spyders, are often reported to be defective or underpowered. Some say that Wicked shouldn't take the blame for the 125 mW lasers because they didn't make the modules, but I feel that it is still Wicked's responsibility to check the output of each laser. The same can be said for Dragon Lasers' products. NOVAlasers also sells pen-style lasers that they didn't manufacture, but we rarely see people complain about their products. In fact, CNI has provided components for pen-style lasers for these companies.

3. protective features

Wicked also needs ways to prevent its lasers from being easily damaged. For example, one badly-needed feature is a regulating circuit for Pulsars, so unknowing people don't blow the diode with overpowered batteries.

4. price

Price is a major turn-off for many buyers. Contrary to popular belief, Wicked's products aren't THAT better than other companies.

Rhith

Great points you make! I have had a bad experience with WL myself, luckily it wasn't dealing with a purchase of a laser. I had ordered a pair of 532nm Sports Goggles and when my packaged arrived I had a wonderful pair of 650nm Sports Goggles. Not good. It took me about two weeks of corresponding to get an RMA number from them. At one point I was even accused that in a picture I sent them to show it was the wrong product that they were goggles from another company. But after that very lengthy procedure, since I got one email reply a day at best, I sent them in asking for an exchange and if that wasn't possible to refund my WB's and the shipping cost to my PayPal account. Lo and behold, they didn't. More WB's for me. This wouldn't have been so horrible if all of Wicked's products weren't horrible. This is just my experience I'm hoping my next experience will be much better.

Oh and I'm up to $124.25 with 45 pending photos and 8 pending videos so they better not screw me over again.

Steve is an aggressive buisness man! ;D he has put wicked on top using every possible method from isolating other companies with his forum rules to removing the need for them with his several companies who offer CNI for the cheapest prices! Of coarse you wont find an RPL from anyone but opto (thank god) The 1 thing wicked could do to rise itself even higher would be to offer power graphs!! come on wicked its time to take the plunge and offer reasurance with your products!

Rhith

I tried to email them about possibilities of power graphs before shipping but I never got a response... and this was a good 2-3 months ago. I forgot to add to my post that upon my WB refund they only refunded the cost of the goggles until I emailed them with a complaint. This was the funniest quote I got sent from them too. "Dear Customer, The goggle in the picture is not a Wicked Lasers product. This goggle was not sent to you from Wicked Lasers. Pete Murphy"

Chief-Eamonn said:
Steve is an aggressive buisness man!  ;D he has put wicked on top using every possible method from isolating other companies with his forum rules to removing the need for them with his several companies who offer CNI for the cheapest prices! Of coarse you wont find an RPL from anyone but opto (thank god) The 1 thing wicked could do to rise itself even higher would be to offer power graphs!! come on wicked its time to take the plunge and offer reasurance with your products!

but then with ACTUALLY up to spec products going out they cant sell a 95 mW for the price of a 125 mW one. Im not saying WL does this, it just without a power graph its easy for them to do this you get what im saying?

Daedal

ixfd64 said:
For example, one badly-needed feature is a regulating circuit for Pulsars, so unknowing people don't blow the diode with overpowered batteries.

I think SenKat will chime in with a very interesting yet disturbing photo in response to this point. ;D

--DDL

And Windows has too many problems. There is so many ways to hack it, Vista is a memory hog, and I just got a virus last night!

C'mon people! Of course people are going to have problems with lasers, and of course we are going to hear about it. Why? Wicked has a vast majority of the portable laser market.

How much of the Television Network airs news that is "encouraging"? How often do you hear that things are going well in Norway because the Queen is doing what Parliament is asking her to do? It is a well known fact that humans find entertainment in hearing bad or unsettling news. The SAME principle applies here.

We (including me) enjoy hearing when a laser has lost power, the lens loosened, or the batteries exploded. Why? Not because we don't like the person who owns it, we want to figure out why it happened, and it literally gives us something to do...to talk about it or to help the person.

Sure, there's many things Wicked could improve on. I'm not denying they don't have problems with their lasers. They do. Like the example of the Pulsar series, they need to throw in a voltage regulator into the driverboard to improve it. And sure, there's many things Windows can improve on.

So why did I spend my time writing this instead of studying for my class in 45 min.? My hope is that people take a step back, and look at the whole scenario before making generalizations to ANY company/event/person.

Perhaps I just wasted 8 1/2 minutes of my time writing this; but in the off chance I made a difference, so be it.

Life is what you make of it. If you want to see evil, you will see evil. If you wish to see good, you will see good.

Yeah you can say that but having just waiting a week and a half for my phoenix to find it has been upgraded to a nexus and then finding out that it is hugely underpowered, it doesn't even pop a balloon!!!!