Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The first red laser

deebix

Hey fellas. damn. i wish i came across this site before i did wickedlasers. im pissed off after reading lots of threads on here about them. those commies. Anyhow, I'm interested in making my first 300 + laser. I have a few questions about this however...
1. Does any member on here make these for people as im not that great with electronics
2. If no one does, what specific laser diode is the best to get in this caliber of power?
3. What is the best type of batteries to use?
4. What, in your opinion, would constitute as the 'ultimate 300 mw laser' for under 150$ or less
thanks a lot fellas. im loving this community already

Scog

Harvest an open can diode from a 20x dvd burner and get a kryton barrel with flexdrive from the group buy section of the forum to put it in. Will set you back $62 for the barrel and driver and about $20-30 for the diode. This option will take a bit of hands on work but people here can give advice if you have trouble.
Option 2, someone here should be willing to sell you the same or something similar but then you miss out on the satisfaction of building it yourself and of course it will cost a bit more.

Took the words right out of my mouth freshert ;)

In fact, you could get a really good quality built DIY off him for ~$150 that puts out 250mW. That may not be the 300mW you were aiming for with the $150, but it'll burn like anything and will be really good quality :)

I paid for premium construction (little more expensive) and jayrob pulled out this beast: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1204144556/95#95

Oh yeah, 320mW :cool: Can't wait till it arrives! +1 jayrob ;)

Murudai said:
Took the words right out of my mouth freshert ;)

In fact, you could get a really good quality built DIY off him for ~$150 that puts out 250mW. That may not be the 300mW you were aiming for with the $150, but it'll burn like anything and will be really good quality :)

I paid for premium construction (little more expensive) and jayrob pulled out this beast: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1204144556/95#95

Oh yeah, 320mW  :cool: Can't wait till it arrives! +1 jayrob ;)
holy moly! :eek: 320mw's! how much did that cost you if you dont mind me asking?

chido

I believe it's around 200 bucks. But I'm not sure. The thing is that Murudai told jay to turn up the current. Most of jay's builds have open can diodes being driven at 420mA, but Murudai's is being driven at 465mA and it's using a glass lens which kicks the power up even more. :eek:

Yup, I'm going for sheer power ;) Best lens + best diode + max current = sweeeeet ;)

Around 200 for that setup. I spent a bit extra to get an acrylic lens too though. Just to see the difference :)

Well, it's been tested before with that kind of current. You wouldn't want to run it for too long, but it works.

I mean, it has got a massive heat sink ;)

jayrob

Lava's awesome new graph tells the story:
Red Diode Graph - All.jpg

465mA's is definitely pushing it! But with my heatsink, and if you pay attention to a duty cycle, we are hoping for the best! :)
Jay

P.S. Senkat has a high current one as well. He likes his pretty well so far!
Here's the Senkat review:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210043392

wasn't senkats one "stock"? 420ma?

mine is @ 470ma and still kicking strong with no issues with it yet.

jayrob

godmonkey said:
wasn't senkats one "stock"? 420ma?

mine is @ 470ma and still kicking strong with no issues with it yet.

Greg's is built with the same circuit as yours. A 2.7 ohm resistor/LM317 DDL driver. I was going to send him a 420mA build, but changed my mind and 'pumped' it up! His measured at 468mA's.

Good to know that yours is still going strong! :)
Jay

P.S. How far away was that 'tower shot' in your review?
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210152418