Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Test load and laser driver

mungbeans

Hi,

I made my own test load from diagrams around the web. I opted to go for 1x to 6x 1N5408 + 1ohm 5W resistor all in series.
I have some rubbish Chinese drivers that are not behaving how I thought they would. Either my test load design is bad or 2x drivers are bad.
Any thoughts welcome.

I want to get the Blackbuck 8M but having a hard time finding any. So tinkering with these until I find the driver.
The BlackBuck 8M does do PWM @~4kHZ right? I saw a post from arkypita saying is only does analogue.

Here is my load design:

PCB.png

Load.jpg

Here are my 2 laser drivers:
drivers.jpg

Black driver is on by default (odd behaviour) Green needs PWM to be powered on. I am sending a 490Hz to each to test both on and off function (from an arduino).

Black driver I am able to set 2-3A no PWM. But when applying a 100% PWM duty would expect near 0V on the test load but am getting 1.5V = 1.5A.

Green driver is really weird. Should be off by default. Connecting it to the load I am measuring 700mV (0.7A) without PWM and adjustment of trimpot does nothing. Voltage slowly drops to 500mV over 1 minute. Connecting100% PWM duty drops test load to 0mV.

I absolutely want to get a better driver just playing around with what I have on hand.
I am building a CNC laser engraver and lightweight cutter. Any driver suggestions welcomed (needs PWM control and 4-5A output.)