Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestions for my first laser

vetch

I know this is probably posted alot, but I'm after my first (and probably only) laser. Budget would be around £200GBP or $400USD. Ive done a bit of research, it didn't take me long to realise that ebay is not the place to get a decent laser!

As with most people, I don't have any specific use for my laser, it will become part of a hobby - if popping balloons, burning things and shining it into the night sky and making lightsabre noises can be classed as a hobby!

Anyway, power and quality are what I'm after, tight beam, low mRAD as possible etc etc.

Any suggestions? and is 150-200mw of power possible given my budget?

well, for about £100 you can get a nova X-105, with a <1mm beam diameter and <1.2mrad divergence. be sure to use the discount code for LPF users for 5% off! if you were willing to spend a bit more than your budget, you could get an optotronics RPL 165 with a <1.5mm beam diameter and <1.0mrad divergence (stated to be usually <1.3mm and <0.92mrad), for about £285-290 with the 7.5% discount on RPLs that optotronics offers LPF people. those seem to be about the best deals you'll get with your budget.

vetch

Does anyone have any experience of desructive gear's 100mw pyro?? Or destrucitve gear in general??
Thanks

LarryQ

Good Question....

DG is a HUGE QUESTION MARK!

Their product Looks good..but they simply refuse to sumit a laser for review.

We have some very respectable people here , with the experience, knowledge, and equipment to perform a very good test of their products.

When a company puts up that much resistance to a proper review..you have to wonder what they are trying to hide?

After all..If their laser comes through objective testing as a real winner...imagine how many lasers they will sell!!

I for one would LOVE one of their Pyros...but I can't risk that much money on a product that may turn out to be a complete dog.

Especially when we already have 3 Fine companies that offer well respected products with Awesome customer service.

Novalasers
Optotronics
Laserglow.

I would love to add DG to that list...but for now...at BEST they are a HUGE GAMBLE.

Good Luck
LarryQ

yes, though i'm sure i've seen one or two people on here say they have a DG laser...?

LarryQ said:
Good Question....

DG is a HUGE QUESTION MARK!

Their product Looks good..but they simply refuse to sumit a laser for review.

We have some very respectable people here , with the experience, knowledge, and equipment to perform a very good test of their products.

When a company puts up that much resistance to a proper review..you have to wonder what they are trying to hide?

After all..If their laser comes through objective testing as a real winner...imagine how many lasers they will sell!!

I for one would LOVE one of their Pyros...but I can't risk that much money on a product that may turn out to be a complete dog.

Especially when we already have 3 Fine companies that offer well respected products with Awesome customer service.

Novalasers
Optotronics
Laserglow.

I would love to add DG to that list...but for now...at BEST they are a HUGE GAMBLE.

Good Luck
LarryQ

I disagree with this, sorry. In my book, you are innocent until proven guilty. I have only heard good from them and just because nobody "respectful" on these forums has had one of their lasers, that does not make them a huge gamble. If they do not want to send out a laser for review, that is their choice and does not make them a bad choice to buy from. No matter who you buy from, you may have problems.

And to be honest, I have only heard good things from Tech Lasers, even if it is all from LC forums. They aren't selling "fake" cni lasers, and if I were to buy a laser, I would highly consider them. If I felt my laser was underpowered, they have a policy where you can return it.

Go ahead and buy from Destructive Gear, they even have a 20 day money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied...

I'm just sick of hearing everyone being so judging towards other companies.

Wicked Lasers, BAD? - I would bet that almost every single person on this forum has AT LEAST one item from them.

My Wicked Laser is underpowered. - OK, so you actually have a power meter to test it and confirm it, great, RMA it or get a refund. I hear of people getting good lasers from them, not just from LC.

So - instead of telling people "DONT BUY FROM WL THEY SUCK", say, "If you buy from WL, it is a gamble".

Once again, innocent until proven guilty.

LarryQ

Did I say DG Sucked???

No...

I said DG was a Gamble......

Just like you suggested we should all say about WL....

As far as innocent until proven guilty...you have to admit that in this area of product..there are a TON of scammers out there.
It seems more so than you would usually find with other products

I really want DG to succeed!!!
If they have a great product...get it out there for everyone to see!!!
Knowing they will get the laser back after testing...what have they got to loose????

Other companies have sent lasers costing many times what a DG Pyro costs for testing...
IMHO..It shows a company's Confidence (or lack thereof) in their product.
True, they can say "No" to sending one for review...it is their call.

Is it unreasonable to scratch you head and wonder WHY they would so completely refuse what is a reasonable request?

That was my point...that is the "Gamble" as I see it...

No harm, no foul....it's just how I see things stack up with DG lasers.

LarryQ

LarryQ

Rob...
Your post above started the old gears turning...

You are right about it being completely up to DG if they want to send a Laser for review.
So Since they refuse to send a laser for review...What would be the next best thing????

I got to thinking...and started this thread http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1192999308

Hopefully we can get some people that actually Own or have owned DG lasers to post!!!

There just doesn't seem to be many of them out there to begin with...

With any Luck..maybe one of those new GB Laser Power Meters went to someone that already owns a DG laser...but that may be wishfull thinking on my part.

I sure hope we can finally shine some light on this subject!~!! GOOD OR BAD!!!!

Thanks for the "Food For Thought"

LarryQ