Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

strong shoking laser prank pointer

ive always thought those fake shocking laser pens were pretty funny but they were always cheap and died after a few uses since they used those tiny watch bats- and often were too weak to bother some people
i was wondering if there was a way to get one that used normal bats so it could be charged and have abit more "zap" to it .
maybe someone can build one here

Encap

ive always thought those fake shocking laser pens were pretty funny but they were always cheap and died after a few uses since they used those tiny watch bats- and often were too weak to bother some people
i was wondering if there was a way to get one that used normal bats so it could be charged and have abit more "zap" to it .
maybe someone can build one here

Not sure about what you mean by "funny".
This JetLasers unit will give a bit more zap, 150,000 volts see: High Power Laser Dazzler
Would that be "funny" enough for you??

Last edited:
I believe most people here would agree that a laser should never be used for a prank on someone. Especially if it is used in proximity of the eyes.

Encap

umm buy funny i mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2n8u1nQg7I
and 150k volts .. isnt that a taser lol? i mean i have one but thats a bit strong for a prank

No it is not a Taser, if you look at the link you will see what it is.
More "zap" bu not a playtoy was the point.

I didn't find the video funny at all and none the people in the video seemed to find the shocking pen was funny either.
Maybe "Jackass" the movie and television show fans would find it mildly amusing.

I believe most people here would agree that a laser should never be used for a prank on someone. Especially if it is used in proximity of the eyes.

Exactly. Agree 100%. A brain damaged/idiotic and dangerous idea at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Yes, none of these made me laugh at all. Causing pain is never funny to me. Even the causing of harmless pain is not funny. :(

Benm

Those prank shock pens and such are not really that dangerous.

The voltage ratings on them are idiotic open-circuit voltages, in reality they deliver a very low current shock which is voltage limited by the contact resistance. Something like a prank pen is probably not that dangerous because it shocks you in one hand, not from on to the other.

Voltages don't really matter that much: use an outlet without ground fault protection and/or stand on something insulating like a plastic beer botte case. Wet your hands, put a nail in each hand and insert into to the measly 120 or 230 volts mains power. Notice how you almost died? Or did someone notice you actually died from this mere fraction of a kilovolt?

Going for the mains directly is probably overkill, but there are some very dangerous things people try out there. One is to use the circuitry from a camera flash to deliver the shock. While most single use camera's don't have enough energy storage to actually kill you, they can already be dangerous if you have a heart condition or something like that.

Take the circuitry from a 'real' camera flash, the type you mount onto the top of a proper camera and usually runs from 4 AA batteries or such? Those potentially store enough energy to kill you if you get your hands the wrong way around the HV capacitor. And if it doesn't kill you it will not make you any stronger, but wise enough never to try that again :D

@ Benm. You missed my point entirely. I know they are not dangerous, but they do cause pain to the individual who is "pranked" by one of these. That is unacceptable IMO. To cause pain in a person or animal for the sake of entertaining oneself is not in the least bit funny.

A few weeks ago one of the guys I work with found out about the sugar free gummy bear effect. There were multiple casualties including myself. Reading the reviews of this product on Amazon had me in tears. When I'm feeling down I sometimes go back and read through a few.

Benm

@Paul, these things as far as i have encountered them cause more of a startle than actual pain. Not that jumping up behind a random person yelling 'BOOOOH!' is acceptable behaviour, but if done amongst friends and such i don't see that much harm in it.

You should not use these shock pens and such on total random strangers, but if it's with people that are your friends and 'will get you back' at some point i see little harm in it.

If one of my friends pulled something like that on me that'd be fine, they know they'll be repaid in kind (when least expected). It's a more or less consensual thing in that case.

When it comes to animals it'd be wrong to cause them pain for any form of entertainment as they cannot agree on such things. Then again you can prank a dog by pretending you're throwing a ball and it will start running for it when you never throw the ball at all. This probably doesn't harm the dog though, and i suppose they'll figure it out at some point ;)

The sugar free candies can cause diarrhea if taken in excess because of sorbitol which has a laxative effect. I don't know why gummy bears are especially prone to cause this, unless they use a larger than normal amount. This effect has been know for years and I personally stay away from sugar free candies because of the toxic effects of many sugar substitutes. Cyclomates were used back in the late 1960s to early 1970s until they was pulled for being a carcinogen. I don't know about anyone else, but i can tell the difference between sugar and sugar substitutes immediately, and therefore can't be "pranked" like this. I hate like hell being shocked.... even a static discharge. It could be because I had been shocked in my first couple of years as an electronics technician. I find it painful and I dislike it a great deal. It is harmless, however. If you get your jollies by these kind of "pranks" among friends, you have a different class of friends than I do. No one I know personally would be happy with me if I pulled this on any of them.

If you get your jollies by these kind of "pranks" among friends, you have a different class of friends than I do. No one I know personally would be happy with me if I pulled this on any of them.

Yeah for sure. Get in where you fit in right?

Benm

All friendships are different, some people are okay with things like shock pens, others may not be amused.

Feeding people laxatives goes a bit far for me too, if someone pulled that on me i guess the response would be more than a 'mild' electric shock surprise.

Then again if i knew someone was affraid of electric shocks i'd never pull a prank with a shock pen or something like that on them. Personally i don't really mind them that much, despite owing my life to a ground balance mains breaker, and knowing what the amount of current to trip one feels like (from one hand to the other).

What pranks are acceptable depends on the environment really. I've worked in a lab where it was considered funny to put a pellet of dry ice into a (very thin walled) plastic centrifuge tube, cap that, and slip it into someones lab coat when heading out of the lab. That would obviously explode shortly after, scaring the hell out of someone.

But you were not supposed to leave the lab wearing your lab coat to go for lunch or such as it could contaminate things, so it was a fair but stern warning as well :D

That dry ice "bomb" is probably similar to the MRe heater "bomb."

Benm

Well, that container is a heck of a lot bigger, looks pretty dangerous actually.

The ones we used in the lab were very small - either an eppendrof cup (2 ml or so), or something like a thin 10-15 ml centrifuge tube. With the eppendorf cup it just pops the lid, the centrifuge tubes do break but don't send sharpnell everywhere, or the screwd on lid just pops out.

You have to be very careful though: some kids use soda bottles filled with dissolved lye (drain cleaner, crofty) and crumpled up pieces of aluminium foil. The reaction creates hydrogen that will burst the bottle.

That in itself is already rather dangerous, but it will also spray the (now hot) lye solution everywhere which could easily injur/blind someone. The dry ice poses little danger as it's only a tiny piece and the CO2 gas created is not toxic or harmful.