Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange 150 mW Greenie Beam Shot in a Red Balloon

HD version: http://d.ro/laserpop

I shot this video awhile ago trying to just do a plain jane standard balloon popping video with some friends but in the process I caught an interesting effect. The red balloon was fairly translucent and so the intact beam could effectively pass through the wall of it and still be visible. What was odd was that the interior of the balloon was reflective and acted a bit like a mirror! Having inflated the balloon with my breath the beam was very visible inside of it but hardly visible outside. The laser ended up making this cool triangular pattern that I recorded from multiple angles.

Anyways hopefully others here will be able to appreciate it as much as we did while recording it!

Cheers!

-Scott

Interesting. I noticed a distinct lack of safety goggles.

/me feels the sting of the ruler on my hand.

I've got no excuses. I admit that in the nearly 30 years of working with lasers I have been known to forgo goggles for myself and others who I have done demonstrations for on the odd occasion. Never had an accident in all of that time so I guess on my prominently posted safety placard it would read the following:

10,950 Days
Incident Free

But I appreciate the criticism. Thanks!

-Scott

HD version: YouTube - Whoa! Laser Pop! Burning Laser vs. Balloon=Pop, Strange Effects!

I shot this video awhile ago trying to just do a plain jane standard balloon popping video with some friends

10,950 Days
Incident Free

But I appreciate the criticism. Thanks!

It is not a criticism.... it was a clear lack of Laser Safety concerning
the others in the video....
If you want to risk your own eyes... that is your choice..
But for you to subject others to a possible Laser accident... I find
a little irresponsible... IMO

Just because you haven't had an accident to date... does not
guarantee it will never happen... Better safe than sorry I would
say...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
It is not a criticism.... it was a clear lack of Laser Safety concerning
the others in the video....
If you want to risk your own eyes... that is your choice..
But for you to subject others to a possible Laser accident... I find
a little irresponsible... IMO

Just because you haven't had an accident to date... does not
guarantee it will never happen... Better safe than sorry I would
say...

Jerry

Yes, what is not shown on the video is my re-explanation (prior to recording) to those that were with me in the video of the real eye danger from the beam. I say re-explanation because on another occasion I had previously used this particular laser in their presence outside as a star pointer and at that time explained safety concerns. They were aware of the bit of risk engendered by this demo.

Again, I appreciate the criticism as it made me realize that the full back story of this video could do for some explaining.

-Scott

Perhaps you two could help me craft a proper safety notice for my videos? I realize that without the backstory (or even with in the opinions of some I imagine) this video is likely to set a poor example for less experienced laser enthusiasts. Making videos for public consumption about my long time hobby is a new thing and I admit that I am learning proper form in doing so.

-Scott

Interesting that you got that effect from just your breath in the balloon.

On the safety topic, IMO any safety notice or explanation just can't substitute for the example viewers see in the video. I would suggest either keeping peoples faces out of your videos or using glasses just for your videos.
Its already hard for many people to grasp the hazard of lasers. A concentrated beam of energy just can be such an unfamiliar type of danger.

Another interesting demonstration Netscott, safety goggles aside I find your videos quite entertaining. I hope to see more in the future :) (and hopefully with some teaching-by-example of proper safety practices)