Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Stingray 2 DIY 270mw Red and 130 mw Blu Ray

I am a relative newcomer to the forum. I had previously bought commercial pointers from Megagreen and Lasershop in the UK and from Dragon in China. A couple of week's ago I saw Milos's post for his new Stingray 2 DIYhttp://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1227480699 and decided to place an order from him for a Red 250mw and a Blu Ray 125. So with some trepidation I pay-pal-ed US$ 325 to a complete stranger in New York. A few days later a package arrived....This is my review.

Ease of transaction:
Milos was easy to contact by email with prompt responses to all my questions. I paid by paypal and he shipped the lasers within about 36 hours. They were extremely well packed in a good sized box with plenty of padding.

Packaging:
The lasers themselves were in a presentation white painted heavy cardboard/wood style box with internal protective foam cut-outs. Smart looking and good protection.

Documentation:
A signed spec sheet for each laser. Could perhaps do with a touch more technical info. (heatsinks etc) though none of that would mean much to me anyway. I am sure Milos will provide that info. on request.

General appearance:
They fit in a reasonable sized pocket but are nothing like the flimsy pen style pointers I already have. These are robust industrial style black. Weighty and solid giving an impression of high build quality (imagine the clunking sound of the door on a new Mercedes).  If the laser doesn't get the mugger, I can always bash him over the head with them ;-)

Performance:
650nm
Rated 250mw, I tested it with my laserbee for a 2 minute cycle. It outputted an almost rock solid 288-290 with no drop-off.
Minimum focused spot size at 10.5 metres was 5mm round = divergence of just under 0.5mrad.
Burning performance - match head at 2.1 metres. I suspect it would have done more but my wife was getting irritated so the test had to be cut short.

405nm blu ray
Rated 125mw. Ditto 2 minute cycle. Rock solid 128 (it did 131 when I first tested but I think the batteries have lost a touch of charge).
Focused spot size at 10.5 metres was 5mm by 6mm. Again divergence of ~ 0.5mm
Burning performance - match head also at 2.1 metres.

Features
Focusable lens. Only one of my pointers has a focusable lens but it is nothing like as good as on the Stingray 2. Adjustability is about perfect - like a good steering wheel - not so coarse that you cannot focus to a point, but not so fine that you are rotating the dial endlessly to achieve anything.
On/off press swiitch at the battery end. Much preferable to the pointer-style control since the laser can be set to on to enable easy burning and beam measurements. Rubber protective end caps.

Value for money
Negotiable but excellent value
Price included two chargers, four rechargeable batteries and two fluorescent dinosaurs ;-)
With the possible exception of the dilda, I don't think there is anything  out there to compete in the commercial world on price, let alone quality.

I am no expert but my impression as a novice? Top class. 10/10

Future improvements?
Adjustable power. Milos says maybe next year ....

Milos

Re: Stingray 2 DIY

Hey, glad it came so quickly, and that everything arrived safely!
Hope you enjoy it.

thanks for great detailed review.

now, where are those pics :)) I wanna se my stingray in UK !! ;D

Re: Stingray 2 DIY

I ain't gonna win any photograph prizes but here is a first shot at some stingray pix. Sorry if the pix are too big. I can't figure out how to work the Imagevenue resize tool yet ....

The red and BR in the presentation box:

The red's dot (don't try this at home - too much glass around for safety)

Handy size:

I'll try posting some beamshots later tonight

Took some beamshots tonight. Conditions were good. Fairly dark with slight mist in the air.

You need to click on the picture link to see them properly (they don't show up properly in the post).

This is the 270 mw red. The exposure was about 6 seconds and the picture is close to  what you see with the naked eye (thin solid red beam):

This is the 130 mw blu ray. Again the exposure was about 6 seconds. Not such a good likeness. The beam is violet rather than blue. Also the camera is able to focus on the beam much better than the human eye. In real life the beam looks diffuse and ghostly because of the inability of the eye to accomodate to the short wavelength.  Note that this not a fault with the laser. I get the same with my 50mw 405 NM CNI. It still produces a lovely starry spot.

Milos

Very nice outside shots !! Glad you are having fun with them.