Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan has arrived!!!

RECON

What's up guys. I finally received my Spartan 1W 447nm and I am so pleased with it I just want to tell you about it. Keep in my mind, this is not my attempt at a formal review...just a little a show and tell.

I ordered the unit on 11/16/2010 and it was dispatched to my location on 11/24/2010. I received the package on 12/11/2010 with a total cost of $279.99. Shipping seems like a long time, but Frank kept me updated during the whole process. The integrity of the box was maintained and I am sure the package was not opened or inspected at any time. The packaging inside was impressive. Multiple rolls of bubble wrap were used to secure the laser and protect it from shock. Furthermore, the unit itself came in a sealed bag.

Once out of the bag, the spartan appeared flawless. The host is machined perfectly with not a single ding or scratch evident. The threads on the tail cap are smooth and screw with little effort. No squeeking or grinding here. The tail cap makes a definitive clicking sound when activated and requires a moderate amount of pressure to depress, which in my opinion is a good thing. This will alleviate the possibility of accidental activations. The lense appears spotless and the unit came with a protective sticker over the aperature during transport. Inside the host, the spring which leads into the laser module itself is shiny and sits straight. It has a good amount of recoil ensuring a positive battery connection. There is also a white plastic insert fit snugly (possibly glued) into the host which travels the length of the host and adheres to the inner walls. This makes the batteries fit snugly. The laser has some serious weight to it and feels great in my hands. I have heard many people disliking the host style of this unit, but I find it refined and attractive. It is portable and "sleek" looking. The host is 20 cm long and 3 cm wide at the widest point near the aperature. The aperature opening itself is 1 cm in diameter.

For the first activation, I utilized duracell lithium photo batteries, CR123A, rated at 3.0V per cell. This is the recommendation for powering this device and I know there are other voltage/rechargeable options for this unit, but so far I stuck with the lower voltage disposables. (Don't want to chance anything!) Upon activation, I literally laughed out loud. When I say bright, it is ridiculously bright. The beam is actually tighter than I thought it would be with no apparent changes in brightness during a straight two minute activation cycle. The color of the beam is a deep blue. I would be lying if I said I could see a slight violet color. Maybe on a side by side comparison with a true blue 473nm there would be some violet evident, but as far as I can tell, its as blue as it gets. The beam exits the aperature perfectly straight from what I can tell. Definitely a change from my greenies.

The beam width upon exiting the aperature is approximately 4mm. When projecting on a wall approximately 30 feet away, the end result is a tight rectangular "dot" just under 1 inch long. The height of the rectangular projection is approximately 1/4 inch, or 1/4 inch thick. The most I have cycled this unit for has been 2 minutes at a time, and during those activation periods, the host only became a little warm. It was never hot to touch and as I previously stated, there were no visible changes in brightness. As far as burning, BE CAREFUL. This unit can burn so well its scary. Paper, cardboard, and matches of any color do not stand a chance. Black rubber and leather starts smoking in about 2 seconds at a distance of 12 inches from the aperature. I apologize but I do not have a meter to formally test the output. Overall, for the price, I still cannot believe the quality and output of the laser. I am actually thinking about buying another one as a backup. I hope this may help any of you guys who are thinking about picking up this unit. If so, don't think it on it anymore. Just go for it! Honestly I am a very very picky person and I am completely satisfied. Sorry there are no pictures, but my digital camera is not currently working and cell phone shots are not even worth posting here. Thanks!!

Remember, this forum just loves pictures! :)

You seem to have covered in a lot of detail, respekt!

Just borrow somebody's camera and snap a shot or two.

It's great price for the Spartan 1W. If somebody would ask me to choose between spartan and Arctic... I'd just go with the Spartan at this point. Though it wins only by very little.

You can see my review in my signature. It'll give you an idea what kind of pictures to take. Size comparisons, finish macros, beamshots, details that matter.

RECON

Eudaimonium, thanks for the reply!!! I thought I was all alone for a while haha. You are right...I really need to get some pictures in there. I just had to quickly post something about the unit because I was so excited about it! Your reviews are awesome. And...seeing your arctic review just makes me salivate for that host. As good as the spartan is, the arctic is always in the back of my mind :D. The main thing is with WL, I would go insane waiting for the shipment and the not knowing feeling with customs would kill me haha. Anyhow, I'll keep you updated and try for some pictures. How's the arctic running btw?

Well, as much as the host is awesome and everything, it's the inner workings that matter too.

How's it running? Perfectly fine for now. I am doing an update in the reserved post in my review this weekend, one of the things I'm sure going to mention is the SmartSwitch input code... as much as it's cool and everything, it really gets boring after two weeks, I just wish it didn't have the damned strobe modes.

Also, I got an Arctic G2 ($300) + expanded lens kit (+$30) plus LensPen cleaning solution (+$10), LaserShades (+$100 IIRC), then shipping EMS express (+$30) and top it off with $90 fee I had to pay for the customs.

Luckily it was a review unit for free so all I payed was $90, however if I ordered it on my own it would come off at $550 exactly. Which are TWO 1W Spartans. Go figure :)

RECON

Very good point. I never even thought about it like that. $90.00 for customs is ridiculous, not to mention having two lasers for the price of one. The modes of the arctic are another thing I don't understand with that unit. The pulse mode is so weird and in my opinion, kind of pointless. I mean, the unit already has a key code safety...pulse modes seem to be aggravating to go through just to get to 1W of output. I am not knocking safety here, because the spartan has NO safety features whatsoever and that can be dangerous, but a pulse mode can get annoying as you said. It'd be nice if you could deactivate that pulsing, cause we all love hearing that "click" and immediately seeing a 1W beam :drool: Who knows. Soon we may see a fingerprint access code programmed by the owner just to operate the damn laser haha.

On a side note, I heard the 1W blues from O-like and Rayfoss are not half bad, as most owners of these units are pleased with host quality, output, and stability. Ultimately, I would LOVE to build a DIY blu-ray, but I have no clue at all where to begin and I am not incredibly knowledgeable about electronics. I don't know...maybe down the line sometime. I'm glad your arctic is going strong. I'm sure she will stay that way for a long time if no problems arose thus far.

Very good point. I never even thought about it like that. $90.00 for customs is ridiculous, not to mention having two lasers for the price of one. The modes of the arctic are another thing I don't understand with that unit. The pulse mode is so weird and in my opinion, kind of pointless. I mean, the unit already has a key code safety...pulse modes seem to be aggravating to go through just to get to 1W of output. I am not knocking safety here, because the spartan has NO safety features whatsoever and that can be dangerous, but a pulse mode can get annoying as you said. It'd be nice if you could deactivate that pulsing, cause we all love hearing that "click" and immediately seeing a 1W beam :drool: Who knows. Soon we may see a fingerprint access code programmed by the owner just to operate the damn laser haha.

On a side note, I heard the 1W blues from O-like and Rayfoss are not half bad, as most owners of these units are pleased with host quality, output, and stability. Ultimately, I would LOVE to build a DIY blu-ray, but I have no clue at all where to begin and I am not incredibly knowledgeable about electronics. I don't know...maybe down the line sometime. I'm glad your arctic is going strong. I'm sure she will stay that way for a long time if no problems arose thus far.
Well, Wicked lasers had an idea about those G2 Arctics, and they made the idea into reality flawlessly.
Problem is that the idea is wrong in the start.

I agree with low power / high power modes. But strobe is just plain pointless. Also, irritating.

But, the laser is a fantastic unit and anybody who sees it is immediately impressed by the "feel" to it, when you're holding it in hand. It gives off an "Danger" impression from the start, unlike some of DIY builds in normal-sized hosts which can be mistaken as toys.

If you need any help what so ever in building your lasers, feel free to contact me anytime. You've got my MSN and Skype to the left under the green squares, also Xfire nickname is the same. You can also contact me by Email and PM here on the forum.

Take note though, I'm GMT+1 time zone and may not reply instantly, depending on where you are.

In any case, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

@AAlasers -

Just report the spam. Don't comment on it, unless it's really funny:p

Just bumps the thread again and increases the likely hood that someone will click on it.

Remember, this forum just loves pictures! :)

You seem to have covered in a lot of detail, respekt!

Just borrow somebody's camera and snap a shot or two.

It's great price for the Spartan 1W. If somebody would ask me to choose between spartan and Arctic... I'd just go with the Spartan at this point. Though it wins only by very little.

You can see my review in my signature. It'll give you an idea what kind of pictures to take. Size comparisons, finish macros, beamshots, details that matter.

Well, Wicked lasers had an idea about those G2 Arctics, and they made the idea into reality flawlessly.
Problem is that the idea is wrong in the start.

I agree with low power / high power modes. But strobe is just plain pointless. Also, irritating.

But, the laser is a fantastic unit and anybody who sees it is immediately impressed by the "feel" to it, when you're holding it in hand. It gives off an "Danger" impression from the start, unlike some of DIY builds in normal-sized hosts which can be mistaken as toys.

If you need any help what so ever in building your lasers, feel free to contact me anytime. You've got my MSN and Skype to the left under the green squares, also Xfire nickname is the same. You can also contact me by Email and PM here on the forum.

Take note though, I'm GMT+1 time zone and may not reply instantly, depending on where you are.

In any case, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

How can i write whatever i want in my signature and and hide a link behind it??(like the thing you have done in your signature)

How can i write whatever i want in my signature and and hide a link behind it??(like the thing you have done in your signature)

highlight it and then click the insert link button. next time dont bump an old thread...