Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spark SL6-800CW Review

It's because no wife, no kids or no girlfriend at this time. lol!

LMAO - I think I'm gonna attempt to avoid #1 and #2 for as long as I can:D

Very nice reviews, instead of a laser next I think I'm gonna pick up a flashlight for edc.

Still undecided on what to get though. Newer lights seem to have more power/lumens but worse throw.

erns

LMAO - I think I'm gonna attempt to avoid #1 and #2 for as long as I can:D

Very nice reviews, instead of a laser next I think I'm gonna pick up a flashlight for edc.

Still undecided on what to get though. Newer lights seem to have more power/lumens but worse throw.

All the lights are using the XM-L Leds. In smaller lights they are going to be all flood but in some of the larger lights they have some throw.

Which is why if you want the most throw while keeping the reflector smaller, your best bet is an R2 or a Q5 LED.

Would it be too much trouble to do a R2/Q5 vs. XP-G vs. XM-L throw comparison sometime, erns? I know I could dig around CPF but I'd like to see the comparison with your camera skills :D

Which is why if you want the most throw while keeping the reflector smaller, your best bet is an (XR-E) R2 or a Q5 LED.

Would it be too much trouble to do a R2/Q5 vs. XP-G vs. XM-L throw comparison sometime, erns? I know I could dig around CPF but I'd like to see the comparison with your camera skills :D

I don't know if there are any XR-E R2-bin EZ-900 (0.9x0.9mm) chips yet, but I believe some XR-E Q5s are the EZ-900. XR-E R2s are the EZ-1000 (1.0x1.0mm) chips.

Yes I accidentally left out the XR-E part. The next step down from XR-E is going to be a Q5 XP-E in terms of pure throw.

actually, XP-E now comes in R2 flavors, unofficially.

Advantage of Q5 over R2 in the XR-E series is the smaller emitting area. surface brightness is probably the same, I'd have to look it up.

So is there any flashlight you guys can recommend with good throw, that's roughly the size of the fenix pd31 or surefire 6p.

The problem with the throw lights I keep running into is that the reflector head is always somewhat larger:(

With a light that size, to achieve throw means you will suffer a loss of lumens from using a smaller emitter. The smaller the emitting area is relative to the optic, the more potential for throw the system as a whole has.

With a light that size, to achieve throw means you will suffer a loss of lumens from using a smaller emitter. The smaller the emitting area is relative to the optic, the more potential for throw the system as a whole has.

Thank you putting that in laymen terms...

It is a shame. I was hoping good throw was possibly with relatively high output.

Back to the drawing board I guess:undecided:

There is the option of a 27-30mm aspheric lens and an XM-L. Most likely it will be a custom build though.