Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Solar Powered Death Ray

Actually you need a few more mirrors, It goes fresnel lens- Convex "collimating" mirror-Ir reflecting mirror at 45 deg- Ir absorbing window-concave converging mirror-condensor lens-dye jet of the coherent ring laser...

In your case you'll want to use a sharp cutoff long wave Ir reflecting mirror that cuts out everything longer than about 830nm a cylindrical lens and a slab rod made out of Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4 co-doped with chromium to enable more of the sun light to be usable.

Alternately you may use an IR fluorescent dye added to the liquid cooling jacket to down shift the UV to usable IR the yag likes. Ruby will not work. Also you could q-switch your yag and make things a tad bit more interesting.

Skip the polarizing film and replace it with a cylindrical Fresnel lens on top and an array of cylindrical mirrors at the bottom similar to a solar hot dog cooker.

:-?

I taught about this in the 90's and talked about this with some folks in the UK in 2003 : In a simple formulation, you could use a tracked parabolic dish that folows the orientation of the sun to capture sunlight and then send it to a fiber optic cable etc,... :p Death Ray i don't know but lasers using sunlight yes why not :p

Last edited:
This would look even cooler at night!

it has been done.. thats my point...
more than once..

side note.. solar powered death rays are used by 9yr old boys all the time to kill ants
keeperx is offline Add to keeperx's Reputation Report Post