Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single-line argon to multi-line argon?

Hello, i was just wondering if it would be possible to modify a single-line argon laser and turn it into a multi-line laser? The way I understand it (and I may be hilariously wrong) is that single-lines have an internal prism that selects the wavelength before entering the plasma tube, whereas multi-lines use an external prism. So would it be possible to remove the internal prism and reflect the original light into the plasma tube, and split it after?

No. Prisms are only installed in a few wavelength-selectable models. The vast majority of lasers do not have a prism.

The difference between single line and multi line is the choice of mirrors. Multi line optics reflect more of the light back into the resonator so it can be amplified, while single line optics release most wavelengths, so only one is amplified. You can switch out the mirrors on your laser depending on which one you have. It is moderately difficult to find a set and to install them, but it is even more difficult to re-align the laser afterwards.

tl;dr: new mirrors will get you multi-line, but it's an "advanced" project.

Ahh, alright. I didn't expect it to be as simple as just switching the prism, or there'd be more people doing it.
I'm relatively new to gas lasers, so please excuse my n00biness.

well multilines have different mirrors and fill pressures. prisms have nothing to do with it unless you're making a tunable. But the answer is generally no. they'll usually only reliably operate at the line that they were made for.