Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Simple red laser.

Can anyone help me build a very simple red laser out of an altoids tin? I'm talking battery, diode, switch, and any other bare necessity.  And possibly a momentary button switch and a constant on/off switch. For materials, please try to list items that can be bought at stores, such as Radioshack, etc, not online.

hydrogenman15 said:
Ok, first off you MUST have a driver I think this video is the best --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7iuBze5I8
Remember, there is nothing simple about having to switch the diode out every 10
seconds and PLEASE read sam's laser faqs before posting. ;)

--hydro15
Could I just solder a capacitor to the battery pack? Or do I have to use a driver? And if so, how would I assemble it?

Orranis said:
[quote author=hydrogenman15 link=1220674972/0#1 date=1220675826]Ok, first off you MUST have a driver I think this video is the best --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7iuBze5I8
Remember, there is nothing simple about having to switch the diode out every 10
seconds and PLEASE read sam's laser faqs before posting. ;)

--hydro15
Could I just solder a capacitor to the battery pack? Or do I have to use a driver? And if so, how would I assemble it?[/quote]

No, remember diodes draw current NOT voltage so the diode could draw WAY to much current and die. Here are some basic faq's about lasers --> http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?virboard=b_red;num=1206843997

--hydro15

when I first made a pointer I made it cheaply if you want Simple then you can use a 1.2-2 ohm resistor(I suggest 2 ohm) which will give you from 160-225ma and a 47uf capacitor. My pointer like this still works fine but its still always best to use a driver.

toked323 said:
when I first made a pointer I made it cheaply if you want Simple then you can use a 1.2-2 ohm resistor(I suggest 2 ohm) which will give you from 160-225ma and a 47uf capacitor.  My pointer like this still works fine but its still always best to use a driver.
If I use a resistor, where would I solder it? And how would I assemble the whole thing?

Sefrez

I think he means like this:
simpleldcircuit179.png

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sefrez said:
I think he means like this:
simpleldcircuit179.png

Correct me if I'm wrong.
How would I assemble the whole thing into a Altoids chewing gum case? With the switch and capacitor and stuff. Also, where would I connect the wires, etc etc.

Sefrez

Thats what the diagram shows in the image I posted. I didn't add the switch in there though.

Sefrez said:
Thats what the diagram shows in the image I posted. I didn't add the switch in there though.
How would I put the switch in? As in, how would I connect it to make it work? And what's a good switch to use? And in the diagram, where would I connect the resistor?

Sefrez

The green is the wire, the "/\/\/\" is the resistor, the black line with the bent line under it is the capacitor, and the circle is the diode.

If you want to add a switch you would put it between the + battery wire and the resistor. (ex. cut that wire in half and set a switch between the wire halves)

Switches can be found in a lot of gadgets. Like an old cd player. Just get a solder gun and remove it then use it in this.

Sefrez said:
The green is the wire, the "/\/\/\" is the resistor, the black line with the bent line under it is the capacitor, and the circle is the diode.

If you want to add a switch you would put it between the + battery wire and the resistor. (ex. cut that wire in half and set a switch between the wire halves)

Switches can be found in a lot of gadgets. Like an old cd player. Just get a solder gun and remove it then use it in this.
Uh...ok, I'll study the diagram.