Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Short Review of NOVA, WL, and Ebay goggles

WickedLasers Red Lasershades
OD 3 at 650nm

These goggles were the cheapest. They are not certified and have not been tested to meet international safety standards. But they work well. They block out most red light, but are very dark. In a dimly lit room, it will be difficult to see much. I feel that they would protect you from a laser radiation for long enough to give you time to move the heck out of the way. The downside to them is that they are alot smaller then they look like on the WL website. I felt that I was not protected well enough when I wore my glasses underneath, as the goggles were so small that they left large gaps around the edges of my vision when the glasses were worn underneath. I solved this problem by wearing my glasses on the outside of the goggles. While this looks terrible to an outside viewer, it works reasonably well since the goggles are small enough to easily slip in behind the glasses.

NOVALasers NOVAshields Pro
OD5+ at 190-449nm, OD 6+ at 450-532nm

These goggles were the most expensive, running me about a hundred bucks after taxes and shipping. But these are my goggles of choice. They are CE certified, and meet or exceed ANSI, CSA, and EN safety standards. They also meet Z87 USA impact standards, so you could use them as general-purpose safety goggles as well (not recommended personally). They block out my green and blue lasers very well, I would trust my vision with these goggles. They fit easily over my glasses, and are very easy to see through in dark environments. They are huge though, and make you look a little bit silly when wearing them.

Ebay. Zonestealth (user) Green Laser safety Goggles
OD 5 and 532nm

Shipped directly from china somewhere, these goggles are not certified by anyone and don't meet international standards for safety. They appear to reflect green light but transmit other wavelengths, and use some sort of thin coating over the lenses to accomplish this. This means that if you scratch the lenses, they lose their ability to protect your eyes. On the upside, they look pretty cool.

Attachments

• gogglecomparison.jpg
    gogglecomparison.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 206

I like the 'looks' review there :D

I don't think any laser shades look to good. So what we always want is the ones that will look the least geeky :)

chido

Nice "stare at the dot through the goggles" review. ;D
If you ever get access to a power meter you should test them for their actual OD, to see if they're actually up to spec.

pseudolobster said:
where did you get that EM spectrum poster on your wall?

Dangit I can't post links. Time to bypass the system! Just remove the spaces.

www . thinkgeek . com /homeoffice/posters/6b15/

Its really cool, the entire thing is organized in octaves, includes audio frequency spectrum, and shows all the ranges and locations of various radio channels and TV channels and WiFi operation channels and the like.