Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Second Laser Build - 100mw for $30 (Pics)

I had been wanting to add a green laser to my collection. I was looking around for parts because I wanted to invest minimal money yet I wanted 100mW+. So after a while I got lucky and found someone on ebay liquidating their green modules. I scored a 100mW green module for $25 with shipping and the housing shown below costed me about $5 so it ended up being a $30 project.

I held onto the module for a while before I made an attempt at build a housing since I wanted it look decent and I used CAD to get my ideas down on paper and for it to be a reference during construction.

This was the first design I came up with using copper pipe for the housing and AAA's for batteries although I actually used AA's in the final build.
aaawo.png

Here is the second build I came up with using a CR123 battery but I kinda thought it looked awkward and decided not to go with it
cr123.png

Pic of the 100mW green module.
img950520850.jpg

The completed laser, used a toothpick for the button switch and the overall length was pretty close to the CAD'ed design. Used aluminum foil to fill the gap between the module and the copper pipe.
img950537846.jpg

Here's how the endcap turned out, had to use a combination of solder and superglue to make it work. I let a touch of glue try on both endcaps before I put them on so they would be a nice smug fit yet still be removeable.
img950529849.jpg

I drilled a hole in the endcap over the module and oriented it so the beam comes out clean.
img950533848.jpg

And there's a pic of the dot.
img950535847.jpg

8 ball

Nice to see people making there own hosts, what's the stable duty cycle if you know?

I do have the power meter readings of the module.

kgrhqjoqeys9p4y1bp3tjvp.jpg

And the seller recommended that with zero heat sink not to run for over 30 seconds, but since the module is surrounded by aluminum and a copper host I've run it for about a minute and haven't noticed an appreciable temperature change.