Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scalped SF-AW210

I'd be real appreciative if someone with a materials sciences background (hint, hint, pullbangdead) could chime in here about GaN decomposing due to oxygen, moisture, or whatnot, since I'm not entirely convinced the few milliliters of air, including mostly nitrogen, a few % water, some oxygen, all totaling some 2mL or so within the aixiz head can't erode GaN enough to make a noticeable decrease in life of the diode...

Well as stated before you won't see much difference.. maybe around 1-2 hours less of its expected life.. but it will also reduce the burning efficiency over time.. its not so much the material suspended in that 2ml of air.. its also the heat produced from the chip that can fuse the particles to the chip. Also think about when he removed the can.. it would of been subjected to many air born particles.. for example dust, deoderant (funny story), air freshiner ect.. these could of become stuck to the chip and in turn heat up with the chip and form a layer of "burnt" residue..

btw the funny story is.. i was using my PHR in my room and using my deoderant to see the beam (no fog machine :() i noticed spots on the output beam.. i thought it was the lens so i wiped it clean.. no change.. so i opened the lens and found the glass on PHR was covered with little black dots.. so i put that diode aside and never used it again... just a side story to assist with my explianation :D

-Adrian