Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Lasers 3W Blue Review and Comparison

AdamWiddow

Hey guys, my Sanwu Lasers 3W blue laser finally arrived (About 2 months late thanks to Corona Virus shipping being messed up).

I've been told that it's in the body of a generic 'Thor M2' laser. I'm not sure how much of the internals are shared between the companies selling them.

I decided to compare it to the closest thing I have...my trusty 1W Spartan!

The good:
- The power of it is insane. It burns pretty much anything...even the kitchen worktop started smoking...

- The adjustable focus beam is perfect for burning.

- I like the design and it feels solid and well made.

- The Lenses available are pretty insane with 3W of power being split across many beams. Certainly need to be careful with them! (Some images linked below)

Here is a little comparison between the two:

The Bad:
- Strangely they sent two slightly different types of battery that arnt even the same colour... the shorter of which doesnt even fit in the charger!
Luckily they are the same spec so I got around the issue by slotting in a spring I had handy... not ideal!
Image:

- For long distance I prefer the beam profile of the Spartan. The beam divergence is much less and I prefer the round profile over the square one on the Sanwu.

- There is a very slight delay between pressing the switch and the laser turning on. It sounds picky but I prefer the confidence of a switch that acts instantly.

- A lens cover cap would be nice. I use the one on the Spartan both for safety and to prevent dust and dirt getting inside the laser. It wouldnt even be hard to add one since it already has a thread in the hole.

Overall: I am happy with the purchase and will have a lot of fun with it!

I have a handful of images. Some have it next to the Spartan, and one also includes my 55mW viper and shone cheap 1mW lasers for size.:

Sanwu Lasers 3W comparison/review

Giannis_TDM

Hey guys, my Sanwu Lasers 3W blue laser finally arrived (About 2 months late thanks to Corona Virus shipping being messed up).

I've been told that it's in the body of a generic 'Thor M2' laser. I'm not sure how much of the internals are shared between the companies selling them.

I decided to compare it to the closest thing I have...my trusty 1W Spartan!

The good:
- The power of it is insane. It burns pretty much anything...even the kitchen worktop started smoking...

- The adjustable focus beam is perfect for burning.

- I like the design and it feels solid and well made.

- The Lenses available are pretty insane with 3W of power being split across many beams. Certainly need to be careful with them! (Some images linked below)

Here is a little comparison between the two:

The Bad:
- Strangely they sent two slightly different types of battery that arnt even the same colour... the shorter of which doesnt even fit in the charger!
Luckily they are the same spec so I got around the issue by slotting in a spring I had handy... not ideal!
Image:

- For long distance I prefer the beam profile of the Spartan. The beam divergence is much less and I prefer the round profile over the square one on the Sanwu.

- There is a very slight delay between pressing the switch and the laser turning on. It sounds picky but I prefer the confidence of a switch that acts instantly.

- A lens cover cap would be nice. I use the one on the Spartan both for safety and to prevent dust and dirt getting inside the laser. It wouldnt even be hard to add one since it already has a thread in the hole.

Overall: I am happy with the purchase and will have a lot of fun with it!

I have a handful of images. Some have it next to the Spartan, and one also includes my 55mW viper and shone cheap 1mW lasers for size.:

Sanwu Lasers 3W comparison/review
Hey Just reminding you, Sanwu is not to blame for the worse divergence it's just nature of the diode, to be specific the diode in the sanwu is the NDB7A75 and the one in the Dragon lasers is either an a140 or an a130 depending on when you got the laser.

Last edited:

AdamWiddow

Hey Just reminding you, Sanwu is not to blame for the worse divergence it's just nature of the diode, to be specific the diode in the sanwu is the NDB7A75 and the one in the Dragon lasers is either an a140 or an a130 depending on when you got the laser.

Nice info! I guess its more of an opinion/taste.

Interestingly the Dragon Lasers one appears square when looking through safety glasses, but it's much less exaggerated at long range.
Probably due to the lower divergence.