Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety goggles

Hi,I'm quite new to lasers and need some answers..
I ordered red 200mW laser because i like burning more than attracting people with green laser.At first it looked simple but now it doesn't.
I know that goggles are necessary for lasers above 5mW but what i quite don't understand is that they cost more than laser itself.This red laser i ordered costs 49Eur and most of goggles i've found cost about the same as laser or even more.I can trust Dragon Lasers, goggles cost 24$ there but i'm from Europe so shipping costs another 18$..I also need to know more about goggles.
Questions:
1.Where could I buy good Safety Goggles for red laser 200mW 650nm in Europe that cost less than laser itself.
2.Can i even see the bean through goggles?It would be useless to have goggles if i can't see anything.
3.Is it safe to look at the bean if i'm pointing to the wall? (no reflective objects).
4.Does Ebay or Amazon have any good goggles?If yes,show some.
I've looked through forums but many threads are old or not exactly what i'm looking for.

Last edited:

Search ebay under "red laser glasses". Cheap, but they won't be certified. To test them, you can take your low power laser and shine it through the glasses to see if a spot appears on the wall a few feet away, if you see a spot, then they are NOT working well enough. If you see no visible spot from your pointer when shooting at the wall through them, then I would not worry about them but do not shine the laser into your eyes while wearing them, bad idea.

No, you will probably not see any hint of a beam through the glasses but you will see where the spot lands on something.

Do not look at spots created on even a non-reflective surface without laser safety glasses unless your laser is under 50mw and even then only if you are several feet away from it. Much depends upon what the surface you are pointing at is made of, how much it diffuses the spot, or reflects it. From the sounds of what you are buying, I don't see a problem looking at the spot from a few feet away without safety glasses unless there is a strong reflection, then WEAR THE GLASSES. It is always best to wear them regardless of any of the above when handling a laser!

I still need a good website to buy goggles with normal price and from europe/cheap shipping.If I barely can see anything through goggles then what's the point of laser in the first place?I might spend around 100$ for laser and goggles and see the bean like 1mW which costs 1-3$ and doesn't require goggles and might be more visible than 200mW laser with goggles.People mostly buy green laser because of how visible it is but if you must use goggles which makes it look like 1mW then it really is pointless.Anyway are T Rex red laser goggles good? Here's the link

600NM-700NM laser safety glasses / laser goggle - $29.00 : Laser Pointer Store, Your Lucky Laser Pointers, Powerful Laser Pointer for sales

Last edited: