Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

safe voltage and current for 16x dvd burner diode

hi all just a newbie question here... I am using a dvd burner diode 16x burn speed anyways, i just hooked it up to 2 AAA the funny thing is it seems very underpower i am using an axiz laser with it and the laser dot is very small. but it still does not melt tape..well it does but it takes like 1 min or so. does anyone know what a safe voltage would be for a diode of this type i would like to get like 200mw or so is this possable? thanks for all for your help. ;D

jake21

Re: safe voltage and current for 16x dvd burner di

i would say around 250ma with a DRIVER if u hooked it up to the batteries with out a driver its dead  :'( :'( and if u like to a open can diode in axiz modual with a driver hit me up i have a few to sell and ill have it hooked up ready to burn  ;)

EDIT: welcome to the forum

midias

Did you turn the Laser into a LED by not using a driver?

pranav

hey even i have one dvd laser, first igave it 2.4v it was tooo weak it didnt burn any thing ,
then with high risk i gave 4v and kept a lens infront of laser and to get a small point .then it started burning paper ,tape etc. but dont give 4v for more than 10-15secs. if u have a super heat sinck u can give 4v for more than 15secs i think so .

Last edited:

midias

hey even i have one dvd laser, first igave it 2.4v it was tooo weak it didnt burn any thing ,
then with high risk i gave 9v and kept a lens infront of laser and to get a small point .then it started burning paper ,tape etc. but dont give 9v for more than 10-15secs. if u have a super heat sinck u can give 9v for more than 15secs i think so .

This sounds like an impressively bad idea

Yeah thats bad idea , i killed my lpc 815 diode by hooking it to 4.2v battery , i had them hooked fo a 5-10 sec , i didnt knew that diode was ok ,i thought it was corrupt , i was just checking what would happen xD