Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ruby Laser?

Just curious. Has any every built a ruby laser? Since I was a kid, I always thought they were very cool but the cost (to this day) is still pretty steep.

Daedal

Well... if you can find a place that can coat the endings on a ruby rod, you can pick a rod up on eBay for less then $20 in most occasions. I have seen a coated one, brand new, go for less than $50.

After that you'll need the flash lamp, which is where the most expense will be incurred. The driver circuit is something you can build fairly cheaply using Sam's laser FAQ. The reflector is something you'll have to look up. I'm sure some surplus place somewhere would have something of that nature, or you can go to your local shop and have them make one for you ;)

It shouldn't me that bad to recreate the first lasers ever made! :D

--DDL

Yeah D:
It would be cool to have because it was the first. Before laser diodes, I seriously looked into building one but the rods were just too expensive (before ebay) so HeNe's had to satisfy me. :p
It's probably for the best as I'd likely kill myself from those "Godzilla" caps! ;) We also had a GIANT Spectra Physics C02 monster at work. Occasionly, it's keepers would let us witness its power. AHHH, those defense contractor dollars can buy a lot of toys!!!

Why coat the ends? I believe the first ruby LASERs used a helical flashlamp, and separate mirrors...

I actually have a pair of dielectric mirrors that would be ideal for a ruby setup. Don't get me started...this might start ANOTHER project! ARGH!!!!!!!!!

-- Chuck Knight

Daedal

Chuck, why not? ;D

I thought this was the point of being here :p Getting ideas for all kinds of things and then building them :)

--DDL

;)

Perhaps, because I have sitting on my shelf, an elliptical mirrored cavity, several bars of dayglo plastic, and a set of dielectric mirrors? I also have a green Nd rod lying around, somewhere...but its output is IR.

Now all I need is the flashlamp from a good sized camera flash, and a high voltage circuit from the same.

Amazing what you can find at tech surplus.

AAAARGH!!!!!!!!

-- Chuck Knight