Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Right batteries for the pointer

Jim Slackery

Hi guys,
I bought a laser pointer recently (30000 mW, 45nm, class 3) and on the picture and user's yt videos you could see how it can burn things like cigarettes. So i bought one and tried it out but it doesnt burn anything. Is it because i' m using 3 volt batteries? The description says '16340 batteries, 3.7 Volt '. Will the power of the laser pointer increase when i use batteries with more volts? Thankful for any help!

Anthony P

Hi guys,
I bought a laser pointer recently (30000 mW, 45nm, class 3) and on the picture and user's yt videos you could see how it can burn things like cigarettes. So i bought one and tried it out but it doesnt burn anything. Is it because i' m using 3 volt batteries? The description says '16340 batteries, 3.7 Volt '. Will the power of the laser pointer increase when i use batteries with more volts? Thankful for any help!
Make and model? Was this home built or factory made off the shelf?

No way someone with no real working laser knowledge would buy something home-built that's actually 30W. It's going to be a cheap laser with ratings that are just fake. Reckon it's under 500mW.

Jim - Get some safety glasses - cause you don't want to burn out your retinas. If it doesn't have adjustable focus - it likely won't burn very well. Increasing the battery voltage is not going to change the power output - it'll likely just make it let out the magic smoke and stop working.

Though the description is correct except it being a class 3 and the suggested battery. What you need to power this laser are sarium krellide battery(s).

Jim Slackery

Thanks for the help so far - and for the safety instructions. In this video the guy is using the same model and his pointer seems to work as in the description.

He is using the included 3.7 volt batteries, while mine didn' t come with any batteries, so i bought them seperately. Could the mAh of the battery affect the laser' s power?

He is using the included 3.7 volt batteries, while mine didn' t come with any batteries, so i bought them separately. Could the mAh of the battery affect the laser' s power?
You're barking up the wrong tree here - the batteries are not driving the laser directly. There is a laser diode driver circuit between the batteries and the laser diode itself that will regulate the current to the diode, and therefore regulate the optical power. A single 16340 of tiny capacity could power a 1W 445 Laser Diode if it was using the correct type of driver, just not for very long between recharges.

If the batteries you bought are 3V CR123 type, these are firstly not rechargeable, and secondly won't likely work. Get some good 16340 3.7V cells from known brands like AW or Efest.

If the laser is not working as in that video, you've more than likely got a dud. If you want to light matches etc, colour them black with a sharpie and that'll help. Lighting cigarettes with a laser sounds moronic as someone must surely have had the idea to do that while holding them in their mouths - thus pointing the laser really near their faces and eyes. Remember that burning is a function of power density - so focus the beam to a point and it'll deliver much more power (heat) to that point.

Burning is very hazardous without safety glasses though, as in general people like to look at the concentrated dot while it's happening...

GSS

That laser should do 1W and that's about it. No were near 30W and I really hope you didn't pay more than $50 or $60?? Still 1W is capable of burning wood and lighting a cigg, and Lord praying not when it's in your mouth:mad: 1W is insanely dangerous.
It most likely needs 2 16340's at 7.4 to 8.2V. It also has to be at it's tightest focus at the spot your burning.
Do not put the battery's in backwords as it will kill it instant and it will not recover
Get glasses like everyone said.
It;s still sad that people sign up here after paying to much to get info they could of used before buying something. But thats how we learn I guess.

I saw in your OP that you claimed this to be a 45nm laser. I assumed you meant 450nm at that point. These cheap Chinese lasers have drivers that are often not the best current regulators and using CR123s won't power it enough to get the maximum power out of it. GSS gave you some very good advice.

Benm

Makes you wonder, did they mistype 45 as 405 or 450?

That gattling host is more likely a 450nm than a 405nm one. They want them to be as visible as possible without using expensive diodes to do it. They are just about the cheapest crap laser you can buy.