Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB Project Completed

Mandelvolt

I can send you the data sheets for each diode if you need them. 2.2v is not enough for the blue. Current must be controlled to be above threshold of the diode, but low enough to be safe range. Voltage, however, can be higher. I would try running the blue at 5-6v.
For that RGB, you essentially need 4 power supplies. I will open up my set up and post the readings later... gotta go to work now. Watch for edit in this post.

Thanks! I made a ton of incorrect assumptions from the datasheet which was provided, somewhere I saw a value of 2.2v and a warning not to go above 2.4v and assumed it was the same across each of the diodes. I have 4 buck CC's I am planning on using, I just wanted to start with a metered supply to test each one individually before soldering everything in place. If you wouldn't mind linking to the correct data sheets, I would be grateful for your assistance.

Last edited:

What CC supply are you using? Please provide a link or something additional.

Anthony P

OK, since I know nothing about your background or experience, I have to ask the obvious question: do you know how to configure the LM317 for Constant Current mode?
For my project I used a 9v 2A wall adapter to power 4 LM317. 3 of them were in CC mode. One for each laser diode. The adjustment resistors were tailored to the current requirements of each. The 4th was in Constant Voltage mode to power the heater on the green OPSL ( about 2V).
I would not trust a bench power supply to power diodes directly. They are, however, fine to power the drivers. Please make sure that you understand and use a test load when setting your drivers before connecting lasers.
I will try to attach PDFs for each laser.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• PL530(1).pdf
    313.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PL 450B.pdf
    407.4 KB · Views: 3
  • UOSE_DS_HL63603TG_R0(1).pdf
    252.9 KB · Views: 3

Mandelvolt

OK, since I know nothing about your background or experience, I have to ask the obvious question: do you know how to configure the LM317 for Constant Current mode?
For my project I used a 9v 2A wall adapter to power 4 LM317. 3 of them were in CC mode. One for each laser diode. The adjustment resistors were tailored to the current requirements of each. The 4th was in Constant Voltage mode to power the heater on the green OPSL ( about 2V).
I would not trust a bench power supply to power diodes directly. They are, however, fine to power the drivers. Please make sure that you understand and use a test load when setting your drivers before connecting lasers.
I will try to attach PDFs for each laser.

Hope this helps.

I made the mistake of using the bench supply to power each diode without running it through the CC first. Although my multimeter gave me no reason to worry during load testing, I recently discovered that when the PS is turned on the voltage jumps to 20V suddenly before lowering to the correct voltage/current. I have a feeling I fried all three in succession with my first attempts since the lasers each lit up once during testing, but failed in subsequent power-on tests. Lesson learned... :(