Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rescue Laser for Hiking

I'm looking for a laser I can take in my backpack for hiking or backpacking trips. I'm making a safety kit and I'd like a VERY powerful laser to be part of it. It'd be cool if it was waterproof too. The idea is that if I ever get injured or stranded I can point it in the night sky and be seen from far away, or flag down a group of people on the mountains, point out far away objects, etc. I'd like a very strong beam to be visible even in daylight if possible. Is green the way to go?
Having a strong burning capability would be really nice as well.

I'm 28 years old and well aware of the safety issues, definitely plan on getting safety glasses as well. This will be used mainly outdoors. Will also be aware of planes, cars, etc.

My budget is probably $150.. is this doable on this budget? If I spend a little more do I get a lot more power?

My Surefire EB2 flashlight already takes CR123 batteries, so if possible I'd like to use the same type since I'll already have that light with me. If this limits my power I'd move to the superior battery.

Thanks,
Ryan

JLSE

If you are looking to add a laser to your safety kit, id avoid green.. I say this because
while green may be the most visible, they are DPSS and sensitive to temperature
and shock more than a straight diode laser like 445nm blue.

The best bang for your buck would be a 445nm which could also be used for burning.

I have a small compact burner, that is water resistant, and very durable. The switch
internally is sealed with a rubber cap, which seal from water seeping in, as well
as o-rings on the battery compartment.

These are palm sized and include the goggles, battery, and aluminum storage case.
The case is 100mm x 100mm, nice and small to carry in a backpack :D

PM me if interested :beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/s...plated-copper-heatsink-video-added-73144.html

joeyss

I'd advise a red laser. Red is considered to be the universal color of distress and as such more attention may be payed to it.

JLSE

I'd agree there, red does signify 'emergency'... Wouldn't want to be stranded
and flash blue.. people may think you're part of a snow removal crew :na:

Red is good if you have a direct line of sight, but if in the woods, I would take
a green or blue over red, simply because its easier to see the beam from the side...

Depending on the situation, red may be a disadvantage.. With tall trees and no opening,
IMO, you need something visible from as many angles as possible..

Last edited:
I would go blue for the awesome scattering though it lacks range its because air scatters the crap out of blue, and I can see it from any angle, green is very bright but a 1/2 mile you would need the beam to be pointing withing a few degrees of the "help" for them to see it, a blue line in the sky at night flashing sos is bound to be noticed by anyone in 1 mile do to the scattering of the beam. Also blue 445nm light is not common in nature so it makes it noticeable. This is if you need help at night if it where daylight, I would use green but I would not count on a laser signal being seen in daytime even if you could muster a 10w green. A radio or cell phone seems like a better way to go though.

Encap

I vote cell or satellite phone and laser as s backup or location signal so people could find you.

Do not forget about duty cycle---many of the lasers avail are only good for a few minutes at a time

1W or better blue would be good, I think so anyway.

Good luck in finding something for $150---maybe consider buliding one from a kit.

Depending on how serious you are about it... sat phone, emergency beacon, two lasers, and a flare gun.

The $150 budget is limiting. Your best bet would be a larger flashlight style host laser, set at ~500mW, and running off of a larger single battery. You don't need even 1W of power for signaling. A blue beam of half a watt will be extremely visible in the middle of nowhere... and at a lower power you'll have much longer run time, I mean both in terms of duty cycle, and battery life.

For red, the new 500mW Mit$ubi$hi diodes are hitting 1W, but they are quite a bit more expensive, and have terrible divergence. Plus they haven't been abused as much. So my vote is for a blue laser first, red after that.