Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Requesting Assistance in Laser Selection

Hello LaserPointerForums userbase, I have recently discovered this website by searching the internet for an unbiased laser forum. I was close to buying the 125mw Evolution from wickedlasers.com, but when I found out how unfair their forums were and how they wanted to filter out all the competition I had second thoughts and did some more lurking. The problem is I have a budget of 600$ and I wish to buy the most powerful pen sized (fits in your pocket) laser I can get for that kind of money. I have looked at the Nova series and their x125 is out of stock, this is disappointing because I have heard great things about that brand being overpowered. I haven't even seen many any posts about it and that leads me to believe the x125 doesn't even exist at all. I need a laser with maximum burning power that is lightweight and isn't made by DealExtreme. That last requirement is one I emphasize on the most.
Anyway I wanted to know what your opinion was on this matter and any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

-Donald Donaldson

We don't recommend DealExtreme lasers (actually made by NewWish) over 50mW in general.
The X-125 is EXCELLENT laser, definitely exists, but Nova don't often have them in stock.
For $600 consider a low end RPL from Optotronics perhaps, or one of the other similar bigger ones. If you really must have a pen size one, try emailing Nova to see when they might have one.

Alternatively, send a PM (personal message) to pseudonomen137 as he distributes (some) CNI lasers, same as the Nova X series, with a discount.
Be sure to check out my thread on laser company discounts for being a forum member.

And welcome to the forum! :) I think you will find it a great place, full of helpful and informative people, and lots of deals and info.

out of the companies i'd recommend that fit in your price range... LPF members get a discount of 7.5% from optotronics, so if you don't mind going a *little* bigger than pen size (still pocketable), you could get an RPL-165 for about $573, or an RPL-200 for $711 if you went a bit over your budget. otherwise in pen size, 125mW is as good as you're gonna get from a smaller, un-heatsinked laser, with nova's 5% LPF discount that's $313 without the metal box n the nova membership n rewards points, or $332 with. details of both discounts can be found in the "deals and discounts" section of this forum. whatever you decide i hope you'll be happy with it, and welcome to LPF! :)

nes_ds

Welcome!

And like the post before this, I recommend Optotronics, or NOVA. If you have the extra cash (and I assume you do seeing as you almost bought a 125mW EVO) go with a handheld unit before you buy a pen sized, you won't regret the much better battery life.

I would like to thank everybody for their input on my situation. I have two follow up questions to anybody who has knowledge about the RPL laser from Optotronics and the Alpha125 Handheld Laser from Novalasers. Why does the non-adjustable model of the RPL weigh more than the adjustable version of the RPL, and does the Alpha125 Handheld Laser usually have a higher output rating than advertised like the X series?

-Donald Donaldson

LarryQ

THe policy Nova has of never selling under speced lasers is for every laser they sell..

If you buy from:
Novalasers
Optotronics
Laserglow

You will be well taken care of!!!!

Good Luck!!!