Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replacement for lost Romisen L-B030

My favourite green laser, a Romisen L-B030 (picture attached), got lost tonight when I lent it to somebody at a photography event. I loved it because it was a 'flashlight' style host with a glass lens over the laser aperture so I never had to worry about dust/dirt getting inside & onto the diode.

What are my options for a replacement, as the Romisen seems to have been discontinued? My requirements are;
  • stable 30-50mW output - the Romisen would never dim or mode hop, even when cold/hot
  • flashlight style host with glass lens
  • not focusable/adjustable

The closest thing I've found so far is this 30mW in a UltraFire WF-501B host. It's shown in the photos as having a glass lens, but on dealextreme there is a 5mW version that doesn't have the glass.

30mW UltraFire WF-501B Flashlight-Style Green Laser (CR123A) - Free Shipping

Are there any alternatives? Are there any flashlight host lasers that don't have a glass lens but which can have one easily added?

Attachments

• romisen.jpg
    romisen.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 136

Yes I found that but I suspect it is an old listing & that if I actually order it they'll come back with a 'no longer stocked' response or something. Guess it can't hurt to try though.

As suspected, from one of the places claiming to still stock it - out of stock "and for this laser now have stop production".

Hmm., Looks like you might have the best luck building your own. There are similar looking host kits around. For the internals, maybe get a green module from o-like. Or you could buy a few cheap eBay pointers and use the module from the one that works the best.

How easy is it to build your own? Is it literally just a case of finding a suitable host & dropping in a suitable module, or does it require machining to get components to actually fit together properly? Do hosts & modules come in 'standard' sizes?

There is some soldering involved, but basically all you have to do is put it together. Handling the diode
also requires that you be grounded at all times.

I can solder fine & am used to handling static-sensitive components, but I don't have the tools for machining metal. If it's just a case of assembly & soldering I'll look into it this evening. I fear this could be a gateway to a slippery slope...

No, there is no machining involved. You just put the pieces together. It's not really
machining, but you do need to press in the diode. All you need to do that is a bench vise and
something metal to press it in with. Flaminpyro or I could make you a press set if you
want/need the proper tool, but there other things that can be made to work.

Last edited: