Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reflection beneath or above water ?

damenz

Hey. So me and my friend went out with his thor ultra 3W blue laser pointer.
His laser is amazing even for pointing. You can clearly see the beam even at bright day time. I got a 303 laser and i compared it with his laser outdoors and honestly i couldn't see the beam at all of my laser. But still i am happy because i can clearly see the green dot SUPER BRIGHT its amazing !.

Anyways. We started walking back home and on the way back, we took a stop on a bridge. I took his thor ultra laser pointer and i pointed on a river below the bridge.
The beam of the blue laser got reflected. I got so scared and confused, so i turned off the laser pointer instantly when i saw the reflection.

I asked my mate if that reflection was beneath or above the water and he didn't know either. He just guessed and said "it was probably below the water".
If you ask me, i am really sure the reflection was ABOVE the water. So we could blind someone... but at the other side of the river was anyways just a forest. Still i didn't took a risk to try it again and see. I got rly scared when i saw that.If water can reflect a laser beam, i could hit the skies with a unlucky angle and blind pilots.
I hope you guys understand my question.

Can someone explain me if the reflected beam was a REAL reflection above the water, or if it was just a "mirror" of the beam BELOW the water ?

hoo7h

Part of the ray is reflected back, and part of it enters the water with a bent angle (refraction). Here's a nice reading on the subject:

damenz

Sweet thank you. Just found a video where a guy points a blue laser on water and it points back to the skies. Thats what i wanted to avoid :) so i avoid pointing on water.Dont wanna hit any pilots