Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick question about Daedal's circuit

Is the voltage on the load supposed to increase with less resistance? I know the current increases but is the voltage supposed increase as well? I tested a white LED and at max pot resistance. The voltage is 3.45 volts at 36 mA. I turn the pot to its least resistance and I get 4.30 volts at 127 mA. Does this sound correct or no?

Gazoo

Yes, the voltage will change with the changes in current.

Gazoo you are awesome. I love how fast you reply ;D. Anyways yeah did that sound about right? The figures for the white LED? I just ordered an Aixiz module today and as you can tell I am taking this slowly because I want to get it right the first time. So based on those figures, the LD should be okay right?

Gazoo

Right...it all sounds good. Just make sure, of course, to monitor the current of the LD. You will be fine...

Ok thanks Gazoo :D. But if I am supposed to solder the LD to the capacitor,(to prevent disconnecting of the LD) how would I monitor the current? It may sound like a dumb question but right now I have everything on a bread board with easy access to everything. Also those GB LDs are rated 130 mA. What would be a safe level before that and still have burning power? Maybe 115-120. I dont wanna push it too much ya know. Well thanks again and hopefully you can clarify these last(annoying)questions.

Gazoo

I answered your question on how to measure current in your other thread.. ;) Use the 1 ohm resistor...at least 1 watt. Radio Shack has them... with a rating of 10watts. It's overkill but it will work.

The diode will have nice burning power at 160ma's. Don't let it get hot.

OMG!! :eek: So with the GB LDs being rated at 130 mA, you can push them to 160 mA? Wow that is crazy. Although I do not think my PSU can push that much because I had 4 white LEDs and I was only able to get 127 mA and that is at least resistance of the pot. But then again the LEDs were still really bright :-?. I dunno I am gonna give it a go when I get my module and LD. but only reading 127 mA on 4 LEDs was weird to me. What do you think?

Gazoo

Well here's the thing, you said you measured around 9.5 volts on the power supply while powering Daedal's circuit with a load on it...right? But isn't the highest voltage output of your supply 12 volts? I just now thought of it, but if this is what is happening then your power supply may be bad, or like you said have a weak output on the 12 volt line.

Well on the psu it says 12 volts. The DVD player worked fine and when I tore it apart for the psu I measured it and it was 9.75 volts. Probably right about the weak output though. I mean c'mon here 4 white LEDs only drawing 127 mA? It doesn't seem logical to me. I think I may try a different psu or just use 4 lithium AAs. We'll see though. I'll let ya know the outcome. Well would the LD still burn things at 127 mA?