Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about the Laser Glow Galileo-5

Hi, new comer here :). I made a search for the same topic but I have not found an existing thread that explains it.
Does anyone know the current consumption of the Galileo-5? It seems that CR123As are drained essentially within an hour or two of continuous use...the batteries I have tried are Energizer [EL-123A] and Surefire [SF-123A] tested by the ZTS meter at 100% at start and only after one night or two outdoors the batteries are registering 20-40%. Is this a normal occurrance? I have left it on at most 10 minute intervals because I fear it may overheat, I have had a Chinese laser overheat and die literally within a week of momentary use. :mad:
The Galileo works very well when I use it to align my scope to certain celestial objects with a manual tripod, while its not as bright as many of my friends lasers it does a good job for me. :p

When I am operating the Galileo, I can hear a distinct hum, almost like a whistle from it. I am not familiar with the electronics that make up the laser driver but I am under the impression that it might be a bad inductor, anyone care to guess? :-?

Upon arrival, I took the tailcap off the body and noticed off the bat that no O-rings were installed between the nub and the threads, was there supposed to be an o-ring?

Last question, looking down the barrel of the business end, I noticed that half way down the output bore appear to be threaded, care to tell what sort of accessory this was intended?

Thanks in advance!

1-2 hours seems like an acceptable run time to me. does it accept rechargeables? If not, a cheap 5mW that does can be found for under $20. You also may want to look into something mains powered.

thanks, I don't have any other lasers to compare with so I really don't know what the ballpark value for runtimes are. CR123As costs about $1 to $1.50/cell online depending on the company so its much cheaper in the long run compared to AAAs, and most alkalines can't tolerate high/low temperatures too well either.

Justin

The average runtime for a Galileo on a good battery is about 1-1.5 hours.

You can actually run the Galileo until the batteries run out with no fear of overheating, so please feel free to run it for the full battery lifetime if you wish! It is much better quality than a lot of other green pointers and I can tell you from personal experience that it will run for an hour with no loss of power and no heat buildup.

There is not supposed to be any o-ring on the tailcap, this is normal. The threading in the aperture tube is how the laser module is mounted in the housing, it's not designed for any accesssories but that is an interesting idea...

I hope this is helpful for you!