Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about replacing Alkaline with Lithium Primary batteries

The title basically said it,

Let's say I had a 5mW green laser pen and it obviously uses AAA alkaline batteries. If I were to replace the batteries with AAA lithium energizer primary batteries, wouldn't the current from the lithium batteries be greater than alkaline batteries (as in would the extra current being produced in comparison to the alkaline ones cause the diode to be overrun and result in lower diode life)?

Or would the diode 'automatically' Not draw an extra amount of current?

Though I'm still rather new to lasers, I would love to use lithium, but I need answers first :)

Lithiums use an entierly(sp) different chemical reaction to make energy. I would still with the Titanium series. They are high amp/hour alkalines, i use them everyonce in a while and they are great.

It basically depends on the Voltage of your Lithium battery/s..
a single Alkaline is 1.5 Volts...
You will need to keep your total battery voltage the same...
the amperage is not relevant...

Jerry

The title basically said it,

Let's say I had a 5mW green laser pen and it obviously uses AAA alkaline batteries. If I were to replace the batteries with AAA lithium energizer primary batteries, wouldn't the current from the lithium batteries be greater than alkaline batteries (as in would the extra current being produced in comparison to the alkaline ones cause the diode to be overrun and result in lower diode life)?

Or would the diode 'automatically' Not draw an extra amount of current?

Though I'm still rather new to lasers, I would love to use lithium, but I need answers first :)

If the diode has a driver(Most pointers do), it is already current limited... In case you don't have an electronics background; current is drawn as needed, voltage is(generally) set. Another thing worth mentioning is that lithium primaries generate about 1.7V as opposed to alkalines(1.5V)... Your laser may appear brighter as a result of using lithiums...

Last edited:
Last time I measured one of those lithium primaries, they did anywhere in the neighborhood of 1.64-1.82... This small "boost" will make the laser brighter but could also shorten diode life...

If the Driver is regulated...it should easily handle the small 0.4Volt difference
and the laser will run longer between charges with the 1.7V Primary Lithiums..

Jerry

I would be very cautious when using lithium primaries. Most green/pointer modules are poorly regulated; if you feed it more voltage, it will get brighter...

I'll give the lithium primaries a test (voltage). Do lithium primaries decrease in voltage (at all)? I heard they don't drop at all due to their different chemical reactions.

I've bought O-like Green Modules that are rated at 3Volts... and have pushed
them to 5Volts for very short periods (the Drivers do not regulate very well)...
almost doubling the output..
The modules now run on a 3.6 volt lithium and are still going strong...
These are merely suggestions... the ultimate choice is yours...
I alway thought that we were hobbyist experimenters...
That's what get me going...
Hey... I've even pushed a Dilda with 12V to 322mW...

Jerry